• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juvenile California Gull? Oregon, USA (1 Viewer)

cwbirder

United States
Hello all-

I am looking for confirmation on this sad-looking juvenile gull. It was seen in Corvallis, Oregon, USA, in mid-June of this year. The expected gull is California Gull in that time and place, and I do suspect that is what it is, but I am looking to see if others agree with me.

In terms of other gulls, I think the bill size/shape is wrong for Ring-billed, which would be the only other summering Larus-type gull in the area.

Thoughts?

[Photos are taken through binoculars, and cropped, but otherwise unaltered. The colors are often a bit bleached through the binocular-camera connection though.]

Attachments

• 20180617_075054.jpg
    20180617_075054.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20180617_075435.jpg
    20180617_075435.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 18
Thanks, fugl!

Also, FYI, the photo you have linked to is labelled as a Ring-billed Gull in your photostream. I agree that it looks like a California, and looks quite like the photos I have of this individual here!

Thanks, fugl!

Also, FYI, the photo you have linked to is labelled as a Ring-billed Gull in your photostream. I agree that it looks like a California, and looks quite like the photos I have of this individual here!

Mine’s a Ring-billed alright. It was with Californias so I was able to directly compare it with that species. I carelessly copied the link and posted it here on the basis of a quick glance. Sorry for the confusion.

Time for one of the resident gull experts to chime in at this point. . ..

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back