• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juvenile? Duck South Africa (1 Viewer)

Martin Hobbs

Hi,
I took the below picture at Rietvlei Nature Reserve, (just north of JHB, just south of Pretoria) South Africa.
It was early March.
It was among other water birds including Egyptian Geese, Moorhens, Yellow-billed, and African Black Duck.
I think it may be a juvenile African Black duck, however I cannot find any description or picture showing the red eye ring and white throat patch for juvenile African Black Duck.

Your assistance would be appreciated.

Martin

Attachments

• Reitvlei 05032013.jpg
    Reitvlei 05032013.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 106
Good evening Martin. Just be carefull it is probably an escapee and therefore doesn't count, and won't be in the SA bird books. There were photo's of a wood duck there in the last couple of weeks if I'm not mistaken.

Hi Martin. I saw presumably the same duck on 23 Feb - was younger and eye ring less prominent. After a lot of googling I also came to the conclusion that it is a wood duck (although it was swimming around with a African Black Duck)

FB

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back