• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Köyceğiz & Mugla area - SW Turkey (1 Viewer)

In the first two weeks of May 1996 I visited Turgutreis, Muğla on a weeks holiday. At that time along with stuff like Masked Shrike and Long-legged Buzzard (both commonish) I saw a daily evening to dusk flock of 12-15 Eleanora's Falcons (visible from my hotel room). Are they still known to occur there?
It’s quite a distance from here and I haven’t seen anything recently in EBird that would enlighten you. I’ll keep an eye out as I’ll be travelling that way at some point.

RecoveringScot

It’s quite a distance from here and I haven’t seen anything recently in EBird that would enlighten you. I’ll keep an eye out as I’ll be travelling that way at some point.
It was just idle curiosity really, as it's unlikely I will get to Turkey again. I wasn't even on a birdwatching holiday as such at the time, but was pleasantly rewarded.

12/05/22

Lesser Spotted Eagle- across lake towards roughly Hamitkoy, Calandra Lark - rubbish dump, Little Bittern -again in the open on field side of the river bridge, Masked & Red Backed Shrike - rubbish dump

Dalyan- Caunos- Iztuzu
13/05/22

A hot day with an aged relative but still picked up a few good birds. There was a school trip at Caunos that detracted somewhat from the serene atmosphere I’ve become accustomed to.

Caunos
Chukar, Short Toed Eagle, Rufous Bush Chat, Black-Eared Wheatear, Raven , Tawny Pipit, Long legged Buzzard

River trip to Iztuzu
Marsh Harrier , Night Heron, multiple Purple Herons, 5 Spur Winged Plovers, Little Crake, several Loggerhead Turtles , Glossy Ibis, White Stork, Great Reed, Reed, Cettis Warbler, Penduline Tit,

Delikili Island
Rufous tailed Rock Thrush visible from boat on far side, presumably migrant?

Peregrine/Eleonoras falcon - into the sun from a rocky boat deck

Audouins gull

Dalyan
Roller, Laughing Dove

Plus an array of the usual local birds- Bee-eaters, Shrikes etc. Spoilt out here.

We know two friendly and amenable boat men happy to tailor birding trips to small groups/ single visitors. Used them several times to complete satisfaction. They are very reasonably priced (certainly compared to the prices quoted on the quayside). Direct message me if interested.
Also a friends lovely rooftop apartment is regularly free to rent in Köyceğiz. Again reasonably priced (no kids, smokers, pets though). Happy to pass on messages.

Last edited:
Added an Eastern Olivaceous Warbler to garden list, not bad in addition to Collared & Spotted Flycatcher, Orphean Warbler, Short Toed Eagle, Long Legged Buzzard, Purple & Night Heron, Glossy Ibis etc.

Turtle Dove- garden list, Goshawk - Sigla wood (garden list just about), 1 Common Tern, Eastern Bonelli’s Warbler, Penduline Tit, Pied Flycatcher, Tawny Owl, Pallid Swifts over our street giving leisurely views.
7 Night Herons yesterday evening

Also Nile Soft-shell Turtle - huge , must have been fully grown, and a Dice Snake

21/05/22

6 Whiskered Terns, 3 White Winged Black Terns, 1 Little Bittern - regularly from river bridge, 1 Scops Owl -Gulpinar

Nile soft shelled Turtle- in front of Ayakligol

22/05/22

1 Subalpine Warbler - on Gulpinar plot during Thunderstorm, Cuckoo - Sigla wood , Turtle Dove - Sigla wood

22/05/22

Collared, Laughing & 1 Turtle dove all on neighbouring ploughed plot - though not at the same time.

Garden Warbler , Blackcap & Eastern Oliveaceous Warbler - From balcony

Krupers Nuthatch - forest edge above Yuvarlakçay /Pinar

Nightjar & Little Owl- Yuvarlakçay

Users who are viewing this thread