• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kahles Helia S 42 close focusing distance vs Swarovski SLC HD 8x42 (1 Viewer)

gecko18000

Hi all,

I've seen multiple threads on both binoculars, and the consensus seems to be that the Kahles Helia is the SLC in new armour. However, can anyone who owns one confirm the close focusing distance? I'm ideally going to buy a second hand SLC HD for the close focus to 2m, but these are so hard to find now. I think the Helia is like the more recent SLC which only had close focus to about 3.2m.

Thanks

John

Thanks both - I will keep a look out for an SLC 8x42 HD as I'd like the close focus.
I have always wondered and am still wondering why 2m vs 3m would make a significant difference. A butterfly 3m away appears at 37 cm in an 8x bino, 2m away it would be at 25 cm, these 12 cm difference would not let you see much more detail, so this can‘t be the reason why you need 2m close focus. What is the reason then?

I have always wondered and am still wondering why 2m vs 3m would make a significant difference. A butterfly 3m away appears at 37 cm in an 8x bino, 2m away it would be at 25 cm, these 12 cm difference would not let you see much more detail, so this can‘t be the reason why you need 2m close focus. What is the reason then?
For me, it's the ability to look at features that are closer than 3m in sharp focus, whether that is an inaccessible plant, insect, rock or whatever. It's not often a big deal, but sometimes being able to focus on something so close is handy, if it's not possible to just move another metre or so further away.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back