• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kathmandu Pipit 23Nov19 (1 Viewer)

Arend

Birder in Kathmandu
Hope you can help with ID of this pipit?
Yesterday, it landed on a weedy slope close to the Manohara river in Kathmandu valley. The Rasmussen/Ripley's bird guide seemed to direct me to Red-throated, because of the lack of clear supercilium and light fringes to the wingbars and primaries, but internet photos of Red-throated confused me.
There were also Rosy Pipits and Olive-backed Pipits in that area.
Thanks for any feedback,
Arend

Attachments

• Whatpipit Manohara 23Nov19 forum.png
    Whatpipit Manohara 23Nov19 forum.png
    271 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
I am leaning towards Rosy. Note in particular absence of dark centres to rump/utc's and cold (grey) tones of upperparts which are wrong for RTP. The strength of the supercilium is normally a good feature for Rosy but there is variation-see image 5 here http://bangkokcitybirding.blogspot.com/2013/12/a-lesson-in-pipit-id.html

Is this the only image? The buff-tones to the underparts are a little worrying.

Grahame

Last edited:
Many thanks Grahame,
To be honest, I thought that I had filmed (the photo is a videograb) a Rosy Pipit after it landed, based on what I saw when it flew (I dont think I heard a call) but I started to doubt after I looked at the details and compared to bird guides and internet photos. The Bangkok City Birding post shows that our bird guides are not enough at all. So lets keep it Rosy!
Thanks, Arend

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back