• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

KB57s 2021 list (1 Viewer)

kb57

Europe
May 26: Uxbridge, London
Discussions on another thread reached the conclusion that an EV wasn't the best choice for long-distance twitching, but it worked in my favour this morning. After a long day via a site in York, meeting in Leeds, top up at a fast charger near Chesterfield, and diversion across country to the M40 due to an accident causing long delays on the M1, I ended up at my hotel in Uxbridge with only 30 miles range left in my battery. Too tired to top up that night, I plugged in to a DC charger in Lidl car park the following morning, and went for a 45 minute walk down the Grand Union Canal, and back up the River Colne on part of the 'London Loop' footpath.
A pair of Mandarins on the canal were great to see, then a Cetti's warbler by the Colne did its usual 'burst into song right next to me then disappear' act. Fortunately it had only flown across the river, and proceeded to sing for some time in plain sight on top of a tangle of vegetation. Brilliant view!

115. Mandarin
116. Cetti's Warbler

kb57

Europe
May 26: South Buckinghamshire
Forgot to add another addition to the mammal list, seen in a woodland whilst out on site.

11. Fallow Deer

Jun 01: NW Durham
After a long and frustrating day at the office, I stepped out of the door to see a green woodpecker fly off onto a nearby patch of grass, then into a small patch of birch trees, where it gave a loud call (BF autocorrect insists on describing it as a 'waffle'). I think this is the first one I've seen in 15 years of working here.

Jun 02: NW Durham
Really stressed out with work at the moment, didn't sleep well and then the dawn chorus woke me up as I'd left the window open. Decided to try and chill with a truncated version of one of my local March walks, setting off before the sun burned the fog off. Added willow warbler (about a 2:1 ratio with chiffchaffs up here, which is encouraging), blackcap and swallow to the walking from home green list. I'd harboured ambitions of adding redstart - a local wood looks just right, but I guess I'm just not quite far west enough in the county. What was more frustrating was hearing two garden warblers without so much as a glimpse - the second at close range, with a willow warbler and chaffinch in the same patch of scrub doing their best to distract me.

Garden Warbler (heard-only)

kb57

Europe
Jun 09: Craigleith and Bass Rock, East Lothian
A few days off to chill, get the train into Edinburgh, and drive across to Midlothian to meet up with my son and his fiancee. Not much birding apart from an hour out on the catamaran cruise around Craigleith and Bass Rock. 160,000 gannets and a much smaller number of guillemots and shags were sharing the island with at least one rock pipit.

117. Atlantic Puffin
118. European Rock Pipit

Some great views of urban dippers and grey wagtails along the Water of Leith, but I missed the otter spotted by my partner - we've had great views here in the past of otters.

Last edited:

kb57

Europe
Jul 11: Warkworth, Northumberland
As so frequently happens at this time of year, work becomes all-consuming and I don't get much opportunity for birding, or anything else for that matter. Managed to motivate myself to drive up to Warkworth beach and do a short coastal walk - young black-headed gulls and terns around, newly-fledged from Coquet Island. Starting to get that early autumn feel too, with flocks of lapwings and a few flypast curlews. Partner thought she had a single whimbrel too, which I unfortunately missed, although not a year list tick for us.

119. Common Tern
120. Arctic Tern

Users who are viewing this thread