• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Keep your cat inside during spring (1 Viewer)

CalvinFold

Supporter
I'm less interested in where the blame lies than doing something about those issues, such as free-ranging cats, where we both know what the problems are and how they can be relatively simply resolved. In this case, it's fairly simple - don't let your moggie out to kill wildlife, impose themselves on others' gardens, etc. Sorting out the more significant problem of human overpopulation is a lot harder but that doesn't mean we shouldn't address those issues that can be resolved.
:t:
:clap:

PYRTLE

Old Berkshire Boy
Dilemma time? A good neighbour runs a small registered charity that catches, treats and neuters primarily stray cats ( kittens, adults and some housed pets). All voluntary, no paid staff. Whilst many are rehomed, a fair few are returned to the area where they lived as feral. I am very aware of the impact cats have on wildlife.
So my question is, " Should I support the work they do, solely on the premise that they are trying to reduce the number of strays by doctoring, chipping and finding homes for these strays?"

Last edited:

Farnboro John

Dilemma time? A good neighbour runs a small registered charity that catches, treats and neuters primarily stray cats ( kittens, adults and some housed pets). All voluntary, no paid staff. Whilst many are rehomed, a fair few are returned to the area where they lived as feral. I am very aware of the impact cats have on wildlife.
So my question is, " Should I support the work they do, solely on the premise that they are trying to reduce the number of strays by doctoring, chipping and finding homes for these strays?"

Even if they are let loose, they will (a) waste matings by uncaught ferals/loose pets etc; (b) try to hold territory and move on other strays etc and (c) eventually die without replacing themselves.

All these things are better than the status quo.

So while I believe they should actually be killed on capture, its worth supporting the efforts that are being made.

John

Users who are viewing this thread