• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kefalonia June/July (1 Viewer)

davidg

I'll be going to Kefalonia in early summer and wonder if any birders have been recently. I've searched the archives and there's a few reports but they are all a few years old, hopefully there might be something more up-to-date available?

I'll be staying in Skala, to the south of the island, but will be hiring a car for at least part of the stay. Katelios is nearby and sounds like a good patch to adopt for the fortnight but are there any other suggestions. Like everyone else I'd love to track down Black Woodpecker but I assume this is still highly unlikely.

Any info ie local birders, sites, books etc very welcome.

Thanks,

David

It's no use to you I'm afraid David, but I'll be visiting Kefalonia in July (staying at Lourdas on a family holiday). Having never seen Black Woodpecker, I'd be very interested to hear how you get on or if you find any other information about the island.

I saw a reference to a checklist for Kefalonia by Alan Vittery - anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,
David

I'll be visiting Kefalonia for a couple of weeks in late May, so I'll let you know how I get on. It's a family holiday with a 4-year old, so don't expect too much! However I would hope to manage a few walks in a variety of habitats so hopefully a few birds of interest will appear.

Thanks for the responses - it looks like we might have a few Kefalonia bird reports by the end of the year. I'll certainly write one even if it proves to be rather short, I'd be grateful if Capercaillie71 would post back when he returns as site info is entirely absent as far as I can tell. Mount Aenos looks like the place to go but I won't hold my breath for woodpeckers.

I've downloaded a couple of reports from the Friends of the Ionian site but they're not terribly helpful.

David

Have been to Kefalonia a couple of times and it is a wonderful place. Both times stayed in Svoronata. Last went in first week of June 2008. I will look at my notes but from memory eastern olivaceous warbler including one right outside apartment. Just down the road I had another eow along with sardinian and orphean all singing in a triangle! Woodchat shrike about and near the airport crested lark. Mostly swallows but did see red-rumped a couple of times. Only saw one male black-headed bunting. The previous time i heard scops owl but not in 2008.

Did not venture elsewhere aaprtt from Argostoli (using public transport). From the town walked down to the pines at the end of the lagoon - a lot of typical UK species about. On the way back where the rough track meets the paved path a male little bittern flew out from the shore. Took the ferry to Lixouri but very little from the boat and around there. On the bus to Argostoli passed some higher ground and near a quarry did see a couple of raptors - id unknown.

Gi

Hi

Mount Ainos is fairly accessible but you’ll need a 4x4 to reach the summit as the road is only surfaced to about 2/3 the way up. You can see large birds of prey all over the island, the road up from Katelios to Markopoulo is quite good, although you might see them on the outskirts of Skala, e.g around Old Skala or on the road to Katelios (7km) or Poros (12 km).

Not too sure about Lourdas but there’s plenty of olive groves around and Mount Ainos towers above it.

The Livadi wetlands, on the road between Argostoli (capital) and Lixouri (contender) is quite well-known locally for wading birds.

I’m not a birder but bumped into a birding couple a few years ago, they were staying on the edge of Katelios and, by chance, had a first-floor studio with inland rather than sea view. Although around retirement age they were still quite active, however, they were quite happy sat on their balcony with their binoculars. Not sure they saw anything too rare but they were pleased with the abundance of bird life. This was early season, from memory.

I did a count of birds reportedly seen on Kef (from various ‘good sources’) and it totals nearly 200 varieties. Some of the reports were ten or so years old, mind you (and includes migratory birds).

Maik

Quick thought: on the Poros – Sami road is Agios Nikolaos, here you can(?) find the ‘bottomless lake’ (pond), Avithos (not to be confused with Avithos beach, near Svoronata). Not noted for bird life but it’s very secluded and fairly thick with trees, might be worth a look.

Also a couple of (small) reservoirs just outside Poros, on the loop back to Skala & Katelios. Not sure you'll see anything of great interest but maybe worth checking out.

Kiddies (young-ish) might enjoy seeing the swans and geese on the Koutavos lagoon, Argostoli, also the duck pond at Karavomylos (near the magical Melissani cave and Sami). Oh, and if you're in Argostoli on a morning, head along the sea-front to where the little fishing boats come in, very good chance of seeing a Loggerhead turtle or two.

I'd be grateful if Capercaillie71 would post back when he returns as site info is entirely absent as far as I can tell.

I'll certainly post a report when I come back although I suppose May might be slightly different from June and July for birds.

Mount Ainos is fairly accessible but you’ll need a 4x4 to reach the summit as the road is only surfaced to about 2/3 the way up.

Thanks for your useful post. We are hoping to hire a car for 2 weeks so hopefully will get around most of the island.

Am I right in thinking that the paved road goes as far as the radar station on Mount Ainos? From the satellite photos on google maps this looks like it is below the main fir forest zone. Is it possible to walk into the fir forests from there, or is there somewhere else on the island where this is easier? With a 4-year old in tow we won't be able to manage any particularly strenuous walks.

Last edited:
Just picked-up this thread. Disappointed for Capercaillie who missed out on a beautiful island and a nice handful of birds, I went in September 2009 and because everyone had said it was a duff birding island I didnt take my scope or best binos. Wrong! Didnt get any megas but birding was generally interesting with (I think, not checked my list) 70 species with a couple more not listed as couldnt get 100% sure (see scope/binos comment above).
Kefalonia is a great isalnd for scenery & the people, a good one to combine family hol with birding. But Lesvos given the choice!
my Kefalonia trip report on www.realbirder.com (each bird 100% confirmed by the two of us, any doubt & it's off.)
I'm thinking of Hungary/Chk Republic next year - any tips anyone?
good birding everyone

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back