• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kenko 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Okay, nothing was said about the quality of the glass so I am taking that under advisement nikon boy. This is why I posted the question. The lightness of the lens is what appealed to me but I don't particularly want to foresake quality. Thank you.

Urghhh! Awful, leave well alone K.C. I bought one years ago.... and I celebrated when I finally managed to get some money for it last year!
Andy

Okay, I will leave well enough alone. BTW, got a call from my office that my camera arrived but I am not setting foot in that place today. Something to look forward to first day back tomorrow though :)

Thanks Nikon_boy, but after reading yours and Andy's post I think I would be throwing good money after bad and I worked hard for that tax refund :)

I just read this tread and I don't know what to think of its value.
I have seen the new lens sold in the UK by Keene Electronics Ltd, for Can$169.00 and that is a 6X lens, just ordered it yesterday to enhance my CP5000 capabilities.
I do have the Nikon 19MM wide angle and the 2X tele converter lenses, however at times I like to go a bit further and not to use my spotting scope combo.
I hope, my order will not be of the previous model and more improved new version as it is called KDT60..
Buyer beware of sight unseen purchases I hope does not apply in my case.
cheers.
p.s. but for $169.00 one cannot expect a lens quality of a $1200.00 lens...
Walther
www.walther-loff.com

I wish I had it with me yesterday on a field trip in a park with a nice lake and islands full of water fowl, had canada geese eating out of my hand with many goselings...

eat your heart out boys he he he

Well I read various info on the Kenko 832 and a comparison with the ChrystalVue 832 Sharpshooter.
I did receive the Kenko KDT60 (6X) tried it out and send it right back with full credits..Serious color defects and noit sharp at all..
I have received my ChrystalVue 832 today and man what a difference. it is sharp, clear, no aberation, very easy to focus in the macro setting with my cp5000.
CKCPwer.com did a splendid job and shipped it with a adaptor to fit the 46mm Nikon adaptor I use with the -68 wide angle lens.
The rear optics are sitting nicely close in the adaptor facing the Nikon main lens.
As for vignetting, I use this lens to within 75% range of the wideangle settings and NO VIGNETTING from there on.
I have taken some nice pictures at various distances from 10 feet to 200 feet, all clear and will soon post some when I get back to my home residence from our lakecottage.( slow phone connection)
I have tried hand held, monopod, but allas the tripod and remote release gives the best results...
cheers
Walther..

Nice shots Walther. I assume these pictures were taken at maximum zoom on the camera with the adaptor; so 35mm equivalent 8x85mm = 680mm? That's got to represent somewhere between 10 and 15x magnification.

You say best results so far have been with a tripod. But I was wondering, have you established yet what's the slowest shutter speed you trust yourself with for this combination to avoid camera shake hand-held? Wonder if the old guide of fraction of second to mm applies here; ie. you'd need faster than 1/680 second? With all those pixels available to play with on your Nikon 5000 I suppose you must have the option of setting a higher ISO to help your shutter speed selection.

Also, wondered if you've noticed significant light loss with the convertor?

I'm only an interested observer (wouldn't trust myself with kit as posh as yours) so please don't even consider losing valuable shooting time over answering these questions.

Regards

Norm

CrystalVue 8X32 Sharp shooters tele lens

Hi KC:

I am having fun and lots to learn, have been experimenting and trying out so many variations here at the lake cottage.
The weather (hidden sunshine is the big factor) so I record all I do and will find the best mode and solutions for this neat lens.
I took some pictures of a boat midway in the lake which at this point is 2 miles wide, guess what, I could clearly see the cottages and the docks accross the lake :)
Ooops you being in the legal profession might think I am peeping he he he, nah to many skeeters out there.....
Attached is a shot from a female cow bird I took at 15 feet distance and nikon cp5000 on tripod with remote shutter release and telelens focus and camera on auto focus in macro mode at 7.30 Pm last night at sun set.. also Aperture priority at 1/250 and f4.8
cheers
Walther
p.s. just used paintshop to reduce and crop photo

Attachments

• dscn3028.jpg
    dscn3028.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 372
Hi Norm:
I have been playing with this lens and recorded the various settings in its maiden voyage :)
As soon as I learn more I will keep you posted..
Theres was some light loss, but not significant about one f stop and yes set at full zoom, but I also played witht the zoom button and could bring it down to about 75% before the vignetting appeared... so a good range with this lens and 37/46 mm adaptor taking the optics of the lens, well within the entrance of the nikon UR-E5 46mm adaptor... even deeper than the 2X Nikon teleconverter lens I also have used...
I first focus with the telelens, than press the shutter 1/2 way, camera focusses and than I make minor corrections to the lelelens while using the extenda view adaptor over the lcd enlarging the screen pixels for better clarity... oh the camera was set at Aperture Priority at 1/250 and f4.8 in the MACRO mode...
cheers
Walther

I am properly impressed Walther!! I am now printing out this whole thread and going to keep it for reference. Thanks for the preview :)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back