• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Kentucky USA HAWK ID assistance please.... (1 Viewer)

Trempie4

United States
Hello All.

I wrapped up a 2,000 mi car trip this week to see some clients throughout Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, W. Virginia, Ohio and Pennsylvania before heading back to Maryland where I hang my hat. The amount of deceased birds of prey, mostly hawks it seems is beyond depressing. I pulled over and took a few photos and am hoping to receive some ID verification if possible. A moment of silence for the avian collateral damage of intermodal tractor-trailer commerce.

These three were all photographed in Kentucky as a geographical reference. I took full front and back photos which I hope will assist with ID.

Birds 1 and 2 I believe might be juvenile / young redtails but again, I'm new to this.

Bird 3 was significantly smaller so hopefully the photos will assist in an ID there. Cooper or Short Shinned perhaps?

All assistance is appreciated. Thanks in advance and stay safe everyone.

BIRD 1

Bird 1 A - IMG_4369.jpg

Bird 1 B - IMG_4369.jpg

BIRD 2
Burd 2 A - IMG_4422.jpg

Burd 2 B - IMG_4422.jpg

BIRD 3

Bird 3 A - IMG_4433.jpg

Bird 3 B - IMG_4433.jpg

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
So very sad :(

I believe I agree with you on Pics 1`& 2 and 3 looks to be an immature Cooper's for me anyway. Let's see what others say!

BTW, I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Trempie4

United States
Thanks for the input KC, it’s definitely appreciated. I see lot of dead birds driving around and quite a few while walking the beach down in VA when I visit family. They’ve been an occasional area of interest.

I errantly titled a thread on this birds of prey forum a few days ago “Virginia Falcon” ID when they were obv hawks but hoping you could input in the second d bird there. Cooper or Short Shinned, it’s a split decision at this point.

thanks again for the warm welcome!

Sangahyando

Would be interesting to know the cause of death. If these birds were all in a relatively small area and not obvious roadkill, there is also a chance they might have been poisoned or shot. Normally, dead BoPs shouldn't be that frequent.

FrBrown

United States
I commute about 120 miles a day from NW middle TN to SE middle TN and often see hawks on the shoulder of I-24, very sad. Is that by any chance the area you traveled?
I am extremely new so I dare not guess at the ID's, but was just curious if you saw these on I-24 through TN and KY?

Users who are viewing this thread