• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kenya, Skua (1 Viewer)

I agree with Mark's analysis. Sooty Gull should look pretty dark (almost blackish) on the underwing and in some of the photos it's much paler. There is white on the lower rump/ uppertail but this seems too narrow for Sooty Gull. LTS often shows an extensively white band with barring in this area and I think the quality of the photo just means the barring is obscured. The white shaft on the outer primaries also seems to appear quite consistently, which is good for LTS.

Hi all,
Thank you all for having a look at these really poor pictures and sharing your opinions.
I can confirm with certainty that it wasn't a sooty gull from flight style, speed, behavior etc... It even attacked twice a lesser crested tern in the air under strong wind condition. (Sooty gull are indeed very common here, and I see them almost every day)
From a set of external contacts, the majority were also in favor of LTS although difficult to eliminate pomarin from the picture.
Thanks again,

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back