• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Killarney National Park w/ NL Pure (1 Viewer)

Beautiful pictures!
Thank you!

I’m very happy with the images it’s possible to get by digiscoping through the NLs. They’re pretty easy to crop because of the wide AFOV, but still retain plenty of clarity when they are cropped.

I’ve found owning a good pair of binoculars to be a great way to motivate myself to go out and explore new places. Landscapes are just as exciting as birds and other animals, too, and quite a bit easier to photograph!

Wow, that is a spectacular place! Is it unusual to have snow on the mountains? Do people ever go backcountry skiing there?

Wow, that is a spectacular place! Is it unusual to have snow on the mountains? Do people ever go backcountry skiing there?
I don’t know about the skiing, but there’s not much evidence of a skiing culture in Killarney, from what I saw on my brief visit.

I’m not sure how accessible these particular mountains are, but, looking at the map, I think they are to the west of Mangerton Mountain and east of the Gap of Dunloe.

Later in the afternoon, I was able to see through the NLs a human figure outlined clearly on the peak of one of the mountains further to the east, and from an even greater distance! It was visible on the horizon for a few minutes and then disappeared, so it was certainly accessible to someone!

Here’s an indicative list of the birds I saw after a few hours in the national park:
  • Blue tit
  • Robin
  • Goldfinch (possibly)
  • Chaffinch (possibly)
  • Common Reed bunting (confirmed, as above)
  • Pied wagtail
  • Starlings (lots!)
  • Egret
  • Grey heron
  • Common crow
  • Pigeon (rock dove)
  • Common gull
  • Mute Swan
  • Mallard
  • One unknown bird of prey or owl (fleeting glimpse)

Thank you!

I’m very happy with the images it’s possible to get by digiscoping through the NLs. They’re pretty easy to crop because of the wide AFOV, but still retain plenty of clarity when they are cropped.

I’ve found owning a good pair of binoculars to be a great way to motivate myself to go out and explore new places. Landscapes are just as exciting as birds and other animals, too, and quite a bit easier to photograph!
What's your setup if I may ask? Lovely pictures and a beautiful part of the country. I've only visited that part ones but I can clearly remember how beautiful it was out there.

What's your setup if I may ask? Lovely pictures and a beautiful part of the country. I've only visited that part ones but I can clearly remember how beautiful it was out there.
If you mean the setup for optics and picture taking, then basically I just pull the eyecups out to the max position (6 stops) and hold an iPhone camera against the exit pupil. It’s a bit wobbly, and it takes a little adjustment each time to reduce blackouts, but it seems to work ok. It’s more convenient than carrying around a telephoto DSLR, or similar, and the results are still pretty good. Most of the time I am just looking through the binos, rather than thinking about taking pictures.

My kit at the moment also includes a Vortex Razor 85mm Gen II on a Gitzo 1545T, and I have a phoneskope adapter for that. Because of the extra stability, I prefer using that for short videos. The NLs are too wobbly to take video through. Didn’t take the scope with me to Ireland this time, though.

There’s some CA with the Razor, but it’s otherwise great for digiscoping. That’s another optic with wide AFOV and good edge clarity.

If you mean the setup for optics and picture taking, then basically I just pull the eyecups out to the max position (6 stops) and hold an iPhone camera against the exit pupil. It’s a bit wobbly, and it takes a little adjustment each time to reduce blackouts, but it seems to work ok. It’s more convenient than carrying around a telephoto DSLR, or similar, and the results are still pretty good. Most of the time I am just looking through the binos, rather than thinking about taking pictures.

My kit at the moment also includes a Vortex Razor 85mm Gen II on a Gitzo 1545T, and I have a phoneskope adapter for that. Because of the extra stability, I prefer using that for short videos. The NLs are too wobbly to take video through. Didn’t take the scope with me to Ireland this time, though.

There’s some CA with the Razor, but it’s otherwise great for digiscoping. That’s another optic with wide AFOV and good edge clarity.
Thank you! Never thought of making a photo through my binoculars. Looks really great.

thank you for those pictures!

Before i was interested more into the bin-market i always thought im strange doing this bin-photos with my old diamondback , which a Swiss guy shows me on the way to capricorns..
Felt better when i realized there even a whole market for this, with adapters and stuff, haha.

In combination with a iPhone mini it was nice and like you said, once you have it, it works better and better...

What i cant really find out, no matter the bin, with a iPhone when you reach 2x magnification it won't work out only till 1,9 and sometimes it suddenly works (in both, foto or video mode)
Weird!

thank you for those pictures!

Before i was interested more into the bin-market i always thought im strange doing this bin-photos with my old diamondback , which a Swiss guy shows me on the way to capricorns..
Felt better when i realized there even a whole market for this, with adapters and stuff, haha.

In combination with a iPhone mini it was nice and like you said, once you have it, it works better and better...

What i cant really find out, no matter the bin, with a iPhone when you reach 2x magnification it won't work out only till 1,9 and sometimes it suddenly works (in both, foto or video mode)
Weird!
Yeah, that’s unusual. I can use my iphone zoom all the way to maximum, which is certainly beyond 2x, although I’m not really sure what the specification is. I think it’s possible to change it in the settings, too. (Edit: after checking online, actually, I don’t think so. Not sure where I got that idea from!)

Obviously, image quality diminishes quite dramatically at higher magnification. The phone camera has a very small lens.

Yeah, indeed, but that's interesting...
For me it was the same with a iphone12 mini and a iphone11pro, with both its the same, but most of the time, the iPhone magnification won't work above 2x!!
(No matter if i use a el, a diamondback or a curio ;))

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back