• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Killed bird of prey (1 Viewer)

Definitely on purpose, there were two, presumably as deterrents around the chicken enclosure.

Attachments

• PXL_20220407_111424392.jpg
    PXL_20220407_111424392.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20220407_111447858.jpg
    PXL_20220407_111447858.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 13
Lived in Greece for 14 years and have seen many acts of what we here in the UK would call cruel or callous but Greek people live there way in there own country, shooting small birds to eat is a sporting pastime to them. I have witnessed Dogs tied up with chains to deter others from trespassing on property or land, donkeys being kicked on the legs to get them to move. Yes maybe unacceptable to us but to many Greeks it is there way of life.

Let us know what you do but if you are staying near the incident I would be careful of being identified.

Short toed eagle for me too.
If you are serious about reporting it, the contact details for the HOS are here, there is also a contact email for the Department of The Environment on the website.
Regards excuses for the maintenance of traditional hunting practices, there are none.
The tools for hunting in terms of firearms, mechanical and biological means have moved on with technology.
Hence we see the extensive slaughter of wildlife by so called hunters , reducing the flow of migrating species
to their summer residences in unprecedented numbers , to the point of near extinction of some passerines and raptors.
Attitudes have got to change before there's nothing left to "hunt".

Lived in Greece for 14 years and have seen many acts of what we here in the UK would call cruel or callous but Greek people live there way in there own country, shooting small birds to eat is a sporting pastime to them. I have witnessed Dogs tied up with chains to deter others from trespassing on property or land, donkeys being kicked on the legs to get them to move. Yes maybe unacceptable to us but to many Greeks it is there way of life.
“it is their way of life” does not make it acceptable. This sort of barbarism is from the Stone Age.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back