• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Killer Seal Virus (1 Viewer)

burhinus

It was announced today on our local radio that the virus is back in the Wash. It was confirmed in Holland some time ago, and in July and early August several dead and dying seals had been picked up on the Norfolk coast.

Last time it hit large numbers of seals were affected.

Thankfully Mr Blair's cronies should not get too involved like they did with F & M so there is a fair chance it should'nt go on for too long! Here's hoping.

burhinus

Well they certainly made a pig's ear of dealing with Foot & Mouth.
Let's hope they leave it to someone who knows what they're doing this time.

Pajarero

We have a nicely growing colony at Greatham Creek by the river Tees, which is only just this year showing real signs of increasing. I only hope this virus doesn't reach up our way, but I have a feeling it well might :(

We have a colony on Hilbre Island in the Dee Estuary.
Haven't heard of any problems as yet. Here's hoping it doesn't spread.

pajarero

Re Seal Virus

Seems last time it killed 1,500 of the 3000 seals in the Wash. It did spread north into Scotland but its impact was not as severe. Experts put this down to the fact that the North Sea around here is a filthy puddle, whilst the water is much less polluted in the north. Local wildlife sanctuaries and seal hospitals are preparing for the worst!

RSPCA hospital at East Winch are requesting towels and blankets. Because of the severity of the virus they can only be used once.

It really is time the government did more to help protect our marine habitats. Out of sight out of mind I think!

burhinus

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back