• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

King Fisher/Bee Eater in Riyadh? (1 Viewer)

Tubbls

Tubbls
I spotted what may be a king fisher in Riyadh, KSA. It was about the size of a robin, luminescent green body and darker colored head (blue?). It's beak looked like a king fisher's, but it didn't have "mask" marks on it's face like most do, nor did it have a white throat, so that's why I need your help identifying it. (Sorry, but I couldn't see what color it's under side is.) It was sitting on an electrical line near a farm.

Since this is the desert, I would be surprised if it was a king fisher, but we have had some rain as of late, and it's the fall migratory season.

Thanks in advance for your help.

BirdingRob

Brit abroad
The Al Hayer area of Riyadh has resident white throated kingfishers all year round and common kingfishers in winter. They follow the so called Riyadh river which is a man made stream from the sewage works. It creates a very long (30 kilometre) green valley. The diplomatic quarter in the city can see both kingfishers too near its ornamental stream.

You say its beck was like a kingfisher and it is relatively small so common kingfisher is an option. However the rest of your description fits little green bee-eater as Phil has suggested. It is more likely to sit on a wire too.

Users who are viewing this thread