• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfisher Diary (1 Viewer)

Andy Holt

This year I have for the second consecutive season been allocated a Natural England license to photograph a Kingfisher nest site on the River Trent in Staffordshire.

As part of the license agreement I have to keep notes on each visit to the site, so I've decided to have a go at keeping an online diary of how things go this season. If you're curious, have a look and let me know what you think, and if you've any ideas on topics that would be of interest let me know (Kingfisher related of course).

The website is www.wildlifelens.co.uk

One note of caution for anyone considering following the blog. Last year the nest was dug out by Mink and mid way through the second brood the female disappeared. Hopefully this year things will be less traumatic.

All the best
Andy

Thanks for posting Andy
An interesting blog - it is now bookmarked and I look forward to followng your observations

Regards
Mike

Double Jeopardy

The Kingfisher nest site has been the centre of a lot of drama in the last couple of days. Two serious threats to the Kingfishers have cropped up and although one has now been dealt with, the second is still present and I’m considering what can be done about it.

The full story about marauding bullocks and murderous mink is posted on the blog.

Kingfisher diary blog at http://www.wildlifelens.co.uk/

Young in the nest

April 21st marked another important landmark within the breeding cycle. For the first time I’ve seen the female taking a fish into the nest burrow and this means that there are now live young in the nest.

The activity was far less predictable than it has been during the brooding phase. The adults are still leaving the nest site to hunt, but are returning sooner; at one point both adults were inside the burrow for the best part of a minute. It must take them a bit of getting used to, having live young, where the day before they just had 5 or 6 eggs to worry about.

Full Kingfisher diary at www.wildlifelens.co.uk

The flood

I foolishly considered that the burrow was too high up the bank to be under threat from rising flood water. The last few days have proved me wrong, the water is now uncomfortably close to the burrow, although for now the adult birds are still taking food into the nest. I've posted a video to illustrate the extent of the water level rise on the diary. The fear now is that with heavy rain forecast over the weekend, if the water level rises the kingfishers are going to be in serious trouble.

Full Kingfisher diary at www.wildlifelens.co.uk

Flood water drops

Things seemed to have settled down now on the river. The flood water level has dropped several feet and the kingfishers are continuing to take fish into the burrow. If all goes well the chicks may fledge sometime around the middle of May.

In other news, I've had a mink opposite the burrow and a pair of sand martins have been checking out the nest bank. I've now started posting short video diary entries. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Kingfisher Diary www.wildlefelens.co.uk

Things seemed to have settled down now on the river. The flood water level has dropped several feet and the kingfishers are continuing to take fish into the burrow. If all goes well the chicks may fledge sometime around the middle of May.

In other news, I've had a mink opposite the burrow and a pair of sand martins have been checking out the nest bank. I've now started posting short video diary entries. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Kingfisher Diary www.wildlefelens.co.uk

My best wishes for the Kingfisher population. They are such an interesting and beautiful bird.

Kingfisher Diary - Ep5 - Fish pass & feed

There's still a week or so until the chicks fledge, but the kingfishers behaviour shows that they maybe getting ready to start a second brood.

Kingfisher Diary www.wildlifelens.co.uk

Mating & burrow selection underway

With the first brood still being fed in the nest burrow, the kingfishers have already mated and are now busy selecting a new burrow. The first brood are due to fledge anytime now!!

Video & images at Kingfisher Diary www.wildlifelens.co.uk

First brood done and dusted

The first brood have now left the nest and are now fending for themselves. The adults have begun work on a new burrow in preparation for the second brood.

Kingfisher Diary with video, images and blog at www.wildlifelens.co.uk

Nest bank collapse

A week after the kingfishers had started incubating the second brood, the rains returned and the river levels rose again. The water ate away at the bank and took a large chunk out from directly beneath the burrow.

Full video update at Kingfisher Diary www.wildlifelens.co.uk

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back