• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfisher from Toraja (Sulawesi) (1 Viewer)

Glimmer

Can't find it in my book of birds of greater Sundas and Wallacea...

It looked like an european alcedo atthis, but it was noticeably much bigger.

Seen in a rice paddyfield near Rantepao.

1000032424.jpg

Hi Andy, I was searching up Variables online and I found papuan dwarf kingfisher? The proportions and colour of the beak look much better, as do some details of the plumage. I don't have experience, but I think it's more likely to be a papuan dwarf. Edit: nevermind, Andy edited his and it makes more sense.

Last edited:
Hi Andy, I was searching up Variables online and I found papuan dwarf kingfisher? The proportions and colour of the beak look much better, as do some details of the plumage. I don't have experience, but I think it's more likely to be a papuan dwarf. Edit: nevermind, Andy edited his and it makes more sense.
Papuan Dwarf is a split from Variable and as the name suggests, is found in Papua, not Sulawesi.

With the exception of Papuan, all races of Variable should have a red bill and the habitat is wrong so I'm sticking with Blue-eared.

Last edited:
Edit: This is a really tough one actually, I'm now wondering about 'Hispid' Kingfisher, A. hispidoides which is a race of Common Kingfisher?

Papuan Dwarf is a split from Variable and as the name suggests, is found in Papua, not Sulawesi.

With the exception of Papuan, all races of Variable should have a red bill and the habitat is wrong so I'm sticking with Blue-eared.
I've been wondering what specifically split means. And how you guys organise subspecies in general in lists. Also where can I find images of Hispids online?

I've been wondering what specifically split means. And how you guys organise subspecies in general in lists. Also where can I find images of Hispids online?
'Specifically' split, presumably means that a race, has become a full 'spec'ies

A general Google search came up with this

In regard to organising sub-species, listing software such as Scythebill, has the facility for you to record all sub-species you see and provided that you put all relevant information in, will even automatically split things for you if a split occurs.

It's tough, yes. It was not a blue eared; I saw it in Kalimantan and it was almost the half in size. Also with the atthis subspecies... too big

Hercules is the one that fits for me, if it weren't for its distribution and also the habitat...

It's tough, yes. It was not a blue eared; I saw it in Kalimantan and it was almost the half in size. Also with the atthis subspecies... too big

Hercules is the one that fits for me, if it weren't for its distribution and also the habitat...
Size is a very, unreliable thing to judge in isolation.

You mean toe nails?

I haven't read anything about that being a feature of Blue-eared?

Yes toe nails is what I mean. Personally I have never seen the bird in real life , only in youtube videos and the dozen videos I saw I noticed that it has red nails unlike the other Alcedo.

But hey I could be wrong. It could be a wrong assumption. Maybe the color of the nails doesn't determine which species it truly is.

It's a Common Kingfisher, female, of the race hispidoides. Black bill = male, whereas female shows variable amounts of red on the underside of lower mandible. Blue-eared Kingfisher, male, would show some red at the gape (as they do in all plumages, and best way to separate from hispidoides), and female would have lower orange ear-coverts. Note - this latter feature is only a character of Indonesian and sundiac birds, females from South Asia and northern Southeast Asia are different in showing blue lower ear-coverts (and this is largely undocumented as yet - in prep.).

James

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back