• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (5 Viewers)

So after last weeks rain, the River Rea Kingfisher was back bringing in the fish.
https://flic.kr/p/2jjX5Ai
I did hear the other River Rea Kingfisher.
Last week along the Bourn Brook there was a Hobby.
Yesterday I checked out the River Tame at Spaghetti junction, the first time since March, before lockdown.
At first I didn't see or hear it, then in the distance I heard the calls. There were two under the A38 road bridge;
https://flic.kr/p/2jkBvCw

Great :) We’re on Dartmoor in the caravan at the moment :)

Hi Julie, found any Kingfisher? Lol. I went on holiday to Devon, 2018, I checked BTO for a local KF. Short drive & I saw and heard it. A nice, clear, quite fast River.

After a good few months of a couple Kingfisher pairs along the River Rea, they've moved.
One pair I think nested twice in the same place, then moved on.
The other pair also nested twice I think. Two different locations. Both pairs were not that far apart.
At the weekend I found one of the adults, it was calling. A few Juveniles being chased. Not sure though if both pairs of adults were chasing or are still present. I was lucky, I stuck my head through a gate next to the river and 2 Kingfisher went past, chasing & chirping. I then waited by a bridge I've never seen a Kingfisher at but had an idea they moved to and a Kingfisher went past.
In total six Kingfisher maybe three adults.

Quiet again on the River Rea. A very hidden Kingfisher maybe waiting by a very hidden nest.
It was good Friday to have a calling Kingfisher back on the Bourn Brook. Heard it calling first and then it flew around me.
As well as the River Cole pair, yesterday there was a calling Kingfisher at the River Tame, Spaghetti junction and another, maybe a juvenile also on the Tame just before the River Rea inlet.
Today both the River Cole Kingfisher and then so many fish at Babbs Mill both in the lake and the river and then a Kingfisher. Same place as usual, a few years running now. It was glorious in the early morning sun. A Little Grebe, Herons & Little Egrets.
https://flic.kr/p/2jrNFeE

Last edited:
Saw three at Ham Wall :)

Nice one Julie! What else did you see?

It's good on twitter to hear of other peoples KF sightings.
Bittell Res, Bartley Res, Edgbaston Res and today Bournville Valley Parkway.
The last report inspired me to get out on the bike, I kept going and saw a Kingfisher at the River Rea at what was a nest sight a few weeks back but I gave up on any new sightings.
Guess I'll have to check it again just in case.

Hi

Good views of Marsh harriers, black tailed godwits, green sandpipers, great white egrets, little egrets, lots of warblers :)

Trevor had seen it Tuesday so I was keen to see it myself as it was down the road;
A loud calling Kingfisher on the Bourn at Valley Parkway yesterday.
Tuesday a Kingfisher on the River Rea at one of this years nest location, which was a surprise as this location had gone quiet.
Then yesterday the Kingfisher on the River Rea at Kings Norton.

Last edited:
Trevor saw the Bourn Kingfisher again & Rob saw the River Rea Kingfisher.
I ran the Bourn Brook and River Rea hopeful to see more. I was pleased the River Rea Kingfisher gave a call.
I checked Woodgate Valley as they've improved the flow of the brook. There were tiny fish fry in a few places which I'll have to check again.
A really pleasant surprise and my first in Birmingham & the West Midlands was a Red Kite. It flew into some trees.

Cant remember the last time I saw a King at Bittell.....but jinx broken yesterday evening.....I was taking a pic at the fish ponds and one shot through my field of view and into the wooded area where the resa run off goes.....and then it shot back up along the ponds at 8pm....

Cant remember the last time I saw a King at Bittell.....but jinx broken yesterday evening.....I was taking a pic at the fish ponds and one shot through my field of view and into the wooded area where the resa run off goes.....and then it shot back up along the ponds at 8pm....

Good to hear Keith, a couple people have seen it at Bittell, they reported it on BTO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back