• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (4 Viewers)

Yesterday Kingfisher along the Rea, Cole and Bourn Brook.
Early afternoon surprise, the Dipper back at the same weir along the River Rea. It flew slowly. I'm no expert, I think it's a juvenile.

On which stretch of the Bourn Brook is this grey bridge ?

Hi HF, the grey bridge from where I saw the juvenile Dipper is on the footpath from Reservoir Road to Cadnam Close. The Dipper went up the Valley hidden by the trees. A juvenile Dipper was reported on BTO further up in July. If they are the same bird then very elusive as I regularly check along here.

Hi HF, the grey bridge from where I saw the juvenile Dipper is on the footpath from Reservoir Road to Cadnam Close. The Dipper went up the Valley hidden by the trees. A juvenile Dipper was reported on BTO further up in July. If they are the same bird then very elusive as I regularly check along here.

The sightings of dipper by yourself and also the one in July come from well spread out locations so I'm wondering if there's more than one.

The sightings of dipper by yourself and also the one in July come from well spread out locations so I'm wondering if there's more than one.

Yes, the Dippers I saw on Saturday & Sunday were a couple miles apart. It would be good to know where they come from.
On Twitter Hughie King saw the Rea Dipper this week.
A Kingfisher was back at Woodgate Valley today. That's 9 years in a row now.

Yes, the Dippers I saw on Saturday & Sunday were a couple miles apart. It would be good to know where they come from.
A Kingfisher was back at Woodgate Valley today. That's 9 years in a row now.[/QUOTE

There are dippers in the Peak District on the Derbys/ Staffs border but I suspect these birds come into Birmingham from the west via the R.Stour which runs through Halesowen town centre where there has been a breeding record in the past . The source of the Bourn Brook is on the B'ham/ Halesowen boundary by the Quinton Expressway, about a mile from the River Stour and my guess is that they fly a short distance overland between the two stretches of water and then move eastwards into B'ham. However this is all conjecture and can't be proved unless the birds are ringed and retrapped.

A Kingfisher was back at Woodgate Valley today. That's 9 years in a row now.[/QUOTE

There are dippers in the Peak District on the Derbys/ Staffs border but I suspect these birds come into Birmingham from the west via the R.Stour which runs through Halesowen town centre where there has been a breeding record in the past . The source of the Bourn Brook is on the B'ham/ Halesowen boundary by the Quinton Expressway, about a mile from the River Stour and my guess is that they fly a short distance overland between the two stretches of water and then move eastwards into B'ham. However this is all conjecture and can't be proved unless the birds are ringed and retrapped.

Yes HF! Again thanks for the info.

Great to hear the Dipper singing along the River Rea!
Warbling & burbling.
A long distance photo from yesterday.
This morning there were 2 chasing.
A Kingfisher caught a fish.
Kingfisher along the Bourn Brook yesterday by an old spot.
Good to meet Harborne Flyer.
https://flic.kr/p/2jKSC9J

Yesterday found the Dipper along Chad Brook.
The Kingfisher was on the same stretch later.
Found a Kingfisher on a lake in Canon hill park. My first there.
Today the Kingfisher back in the Rea with the Dipper.
Kate then saw the Dipper on the lower Bourn Brook.

Saturday out for a run, there was a Dipper on the Bourn Brook. It was down the back of the Uni halls. Then the 2nd Dipper was at the Dental Hospital. 2 Dippers on the Bourn Brook! Sunday they were chasing along the River Rea. They were zipping, dipping & then chasing. Today's Dipper was singing against the whitewater from the Bourn Brook weir sat in the River Rea. Good to hear.
Kingfisher at Canon hill park & the Dogpool lane bridge.
Kingfisher yesterday behind the Uni halls & Kate saw one up by the Grey bridge.

Saturday out for a run, there was a Dipper on the Bourn Brook. It was down the back of the Uni halls. Then the 2nd Dipper was at the Dental Hospital. 2 Dippers on the Bourn Brook! Sunday they were chasing along the River Rea. They were zipping, dipping & then chasing. Today's Dipper was singing against the whitewater from the Bourn Brook weir sat in the River Rea. Good to hear.
Kingfisher at Canon hill park & the Dogpool lane bridge.
Kingfisher yesterday behind the Uni halls & Kate saw one up by the Grey bridge.

It seems like a lifetime ago now but I did see dipper on New Year's Day 2017 along the stretch of the Bourn Brook by the Uni ,which does raise some interesting questions ; how long-lived are dippers, are any of the current birds the one from 2017, if so has it been there all the time as a non-breeder or has it migrated back to a breeding territory possibly somewhere west of the Severn.

Did n't see dipper today but k/f on the Bourn Brook near Cadnam Close and another by the Uni. Grey wags in a few places, can't believe they're red-listed.

It seems like a lifetime ago now but I did see dipper on New Year's Day 2017 along the stretch of the Bourn Brook by the Uni ,which does raise some interesting questions ; how long-lived are dippers, are any of the current birds the one from 2017, if so has it been there all the time as a non-breeder or has it migrated back to a breeding territory possibly somewhere west of the Severn.

Did n't see dipper today but k/f on the Bourn Brook near Cadnam Close and another by the Uni. Grey wags in a few places, can't believe they're red-listed.

Hi HF, yes I remember that 2016/2017 Dipper. I first saw it and reported it.
Here is my photo;
http://kingfisherspotter.blogspot.com/2016/12/birmingham-bourn-brook-dipper.html
The River Rea Dipper was really singing Monday evening. Only brief views yesterday.

Yesterday Kate saw a Bourn Brook Dipper by the blue bridge next to the flood plain.
I've seen one nearby at the grey bridge, a month back. I shall check.
Yesterday I saw the Bourn Brook Kingfisher behind the Uni Halls.
Good you saw the Cadnam Close Kingfisher, do you think it's a juvenile?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back