• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (3 Viewers)

The juvenile Dipper was along the River Rea at Cannon Hill park at first light this morning and during the week.
I think it flew in from up the Rea (dont know where, I have looked but not found it during the day). It sang on the ramp wall, first time I've seen it do that. Then it sang again at the MAC & outlet pipe weir. Then I lost it in the river mist. Good to hear it sing again.

Last edited:
The Dipper was briefly along the River Rea Wednesday & NYE at sunrise. It sang & then zipped off. Kate saw the Bourn Brook Dipper by the roundabout NYE.
I thought there were 2 Bourn Brook Kingfisher & Kate saw 2 as well.
The River Rea female Kingfisher along Pebble mill p.field & the male by the Dental Hospital. Good to hear Adrian saw a Kings Norton Kingfisher.
River Rea Kingfisher;

The Dipper was briefly along the River Rea Wednesday & NYE at sunrise. It sang & then zipped off. Kate saw the Bourn Brook Dipper by the roundabout NYE.
I thought there were 2 Bourn Brook Kingfisher & Kate saw 2 as well.
The River Rea female Kingfisher along Pebble mill p.field & the male by the Dental Hospital. Good to hear Adrian saw a Kings Norton Kingfisher.
River Rea Kingfisher;
Two dippers at 1245 on the Bourn Brook nr to the Uni/coffee shop ,exactly where I'd been talking to Kate two hours previously. Also peregrine on the east face of the Uni Clock Tower.

Last edited:
Two dippers at 1245 on the Bourn Brook nr to the Uni/coffee shop ,exactly where I'd been talking to Kate two hours previously. Also peregrine on the east face of the Uni Clock Tower.
Hi Paul,
Yes have now seen a Dipper twice on the Bourn Brook by the uni coffee shop, yesterday & today.
Made it three Dippers today with the two on the River Rea chasing at sunrise.
Loud calls as they chased, then one was past the MAC.
2 Kingfisher on both the Rea & Bourn Brook.

River Rea just before sunrise, I heard zipping & then singing. A quick scan & saw the Dipper singing at the side, on the brick wall along the valley footpath. It then zipped to the dam, where it used to sing & sang again. It zipped off. Second time now it has appeared from down River, from the MAC direction.
Bourn Brook Dental Hospital, the Kingfisher was sat on the fence to the hockey fields. Second time I've seen it sat there.

Yesterday the River Rea Kingfisher & then the young Dipper, displaying with fast movements of it's out stretched wings. Not much singing more clicking

At sunrise one or two of the Dippers are at the ramp or dam on the River Rea.
Yesterday the young and adult Dipper were present. They then zipped up river.
(Adrian saw a Dipper near Wychall on the River Rea).
Saturday just the adult Dipper was present.
It is a quieter singer & does not zip so much.
Later Saturday there was a Kingfisher by the Bourn Brook hospital & the adult Dipper went past weaving at high speed.
Late Friday I saw the other Bourn Brook Dipper by the Uni. It was back again on Saturday.
Over the weekend I saw both pairs of Kingfisher on the River Rea and Bourn Brook.

First light along the River Rea this morning, Kingfisher and then the young Dipper. Yesterday late afternoon Kingfisher along the Bourn Brook at the uni.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back