• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kings Norton Nature Reserve (2 Viewers)

Just one male Goosander on Merecroft today, plus male Shoveler, the Little Grebe and a Green Woodpecker.
A Kingfisher was seen zooming downriver by Popes Lane, two Water Rails in the marsh, two Reed Buntings & a Buzzard in the area beyond the fallen gate. Also two Muntjac over there.

Nice one Stu! There were three female Goosanders on the Manor Farm park lake this morning.

MEERCROFT...1-2 pm...

7 GOOSANDER...4 M...3 F
Little Egret
2 Heron
3 Shoveler. ..1 Pair and a dull male.

Over at Wychall Resa lots of Teal in the shallows but no idea how many.

Last edited:
Merecroft this morning;
Little Egret, Heron, 6 male and 5 female Goosander.
On the Wychall reservoir outflow another Little Egret.
On the Wychall reservoir so many Teal, I'd say over 50.
Then I finally found a Wychall reservoir Kingfisher on the stream that flows through Wychall.
Great!

Merecroft this morning;
Little Egret, Heron, 6 male and 5 female Goosander.
On the Wychall reservoir outflow another Little Egret.
On the Wychall reservoir so many Teal, I'd say over 50.
Then I finally found a Wychall reservoir Kingfisher on the stream that flows through Wychall.
Great!
I wonder if the 2 egrets were the same 1 as the one I had at Meercroft on New years Eve flew off towards Wychall Resa....couldnt find it later though !!

Some pics from 31 Dec....

Attachments

• MEE 1.jpg
    MEE 1.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 52
  • MEE 2.jpg
    MEE 2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 43
  • MEE 3.jpg
    MEE 3.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 45
  • MEE 4.jpg
    MEE 4.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 53
  • MEE 7.jpg
    MEE 7.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 41
Some more...the last one is the VULTURE hanging around the Paddocks....lol

Attachments

• ME 5.jpg
    ME 5.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 53
  • ME 8.jpg
    ME 8.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 78
  • MEE 9.jpg
    MEE 9.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 58
  • MEE 6.jpg
    MEE 6.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 108
Kingfisher along the River Rea past Wychall Lane, stunning colours on a dull day.
Overhead the Starlings gathering in the trees, wheezing and whistling away.
Great!

Red Kite over heading south around 2pm.

Common Sandpiper at Merecroft Pool, feeding on the weir and flying off to land on fallen branches in the water when disturbed.

Blackcaps all over the place. Between this brief visit, my Lifford walk this morning and the female that was in our garden at 8am, I reckon I've seen 20+ Blackcaps today.

Last edited:
Dawn Chorus walk this morning with FKNNR - saw Blackcap, Goldfinch, Collared Dove, many other common species. Heard Song Thrush, Goldcrest, the Wrens were drowning out a lot of others.

Also Chiffchaff seen singing away.

Last edited:
I've looked a couple times in the past couple months but not seen a Kingfisher at KNNR. I saw one a couple times at Merecroft & more recently King's Norton. Good to hear today a Kingfisher on the River Rea at KNNR via twitter.

Kingfisher on the stream that flows through Wychall Res.
Reading the threads above I saw one in almost the exact same place one year a go. I knew I'd seen one along this stretch before just didn't realise it was that long a go. Lol.

Sunday my first Little Egret at Merecroft pool.
It was on the opposite side almost in someones garden.
There was a Female Goosander.
Then a Little Grebe appeared.
Again on the opposite side I just saw a Kingfisher fly a short distance. Then it dived.
I thought it had to be here as I couldn't find one on the Rea.

Report yesterday of 2 Kingfisher on the Wychall res outflow. From the description sounded like 2 Juveniles. Thanks to Adrian for the report. The parents might have been the pair that was further along the River Rea. Took a look this morning and one was flying through.

Nice evening so popped in to Meercroft while on way home.....and got 2 Little Egrets on the sunken dead trees...a Heron on it as well.....had to sneak into the mud and water to get a peak through the branches....lol

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 8
Nice evening so popped in to Meercroft while on way home.....and got 2 Little Egrets on the sunken dead trees...a Heron on it as well.....had to sneak into the mud and water to get a peak through the branches....lol

Hi Keith, nice one!
I checked it out at the weekend in case any new KF had found it.

Merecroft pool, 3 female Goosander in the pouring rain yesterday.
Kingfisher on the stream that flows into KNNR & then the River Rea. I've seen a Kingfisher on this stream once before, a few years a go.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back