• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

kowa 823 - Baader Hyperion MK4 zoom compatibility (1 Viewer)

A very similar message to a one very recently posted about similar situation but with optylith scope.
In essence I have a Kowa 823 scope fitted with a Kowa eyepiece TSE -Z7 (20-60x). Although generally pleased, i have been advised that fitting the above referenced Baader lens wud enhance my viewing experience.
I have been looking at these lenses and struggle to c how they fit the scope body. The existing kowa one snaps into place via three blades. The Baader only has a screw thread. Will I need to buy adaptors to make this fit ?

To any Kowa users who have been down this route are the benefits worth it ?

Thanks in advance

No need at all, the threads of the Baader Mk IV zoom fit perfectly on the external threads on the scope mount. Those threads were originally to fit an eyepiece cover, but the fit and performance are perfect.. Focus at all distance and secure fit..
I use that eyepiece and love it. I have never use the Kowa zoon in the 823,but the sharpness and field of view of the Baader zoom match fixed power eyepieces, and actually gives super wide views at high power, close to 70 degrees.. So depends what you want to improve to know if it's worth. . İmage quality, sharpness and contrast might only be slightly improved, but if you feel the FOV is restricted in your zoom, then is worth the upgrade. I feel the restrictive field of view of standard Zooms to be a limitation, but the Baader Zoom is much better in that Regard. The fact that the Mark IV fits the kowa 823 so perfectly is a real bonus to us owners.

Last edited:
Would the above also apply to a Kowa TSN 821 and Baader Hyperion combination?

Hi,

in theory yes - the Hyperion Mk IV should fit the 821 too and give the same magnifications and an improved field of view. The question remains how usable the image will be beyond 40x in a plain glass scope...

Joachim, who prefers 30x wide for plain glass Kowas...

I have tested the Hyperion Mk 4 on the Kowa 823. It fits nicely. There is one important drawback. Like other astronomical zoom eyepieces used for terrestrial telescopes the Hyperion Mk 4 also doesn’t reach focus at infinity for all magnifications. Approximately beyond 40x you don’t get a sharp image.

Thats not correct,or shouldnt be..unless something is wrong with the scope,the eyepiece or the fitting configuration.
Did you leave any rings or adapters fitted to the collar?.
If you did, try removing them to allow the eyepiece body to sit lower on the mount.
I suspect that could be the problem.With proper fitting,the Baader Hyperion Zoom Mk IV does reach infinity focus at all magnifications on the Kowa 823,with some room to go past a few diopters.

Last edited:
After reading the remarks of Mayoayo in his latest post I have tested the zoomeyepiece again. This time I didn’t use the A-adapter (meant for spotting scopes according tot the manual) . Without the A-adapter the eyepiece reaches focus at infinity for all magnifications. I thought that the A-adapter was meant to prevent the eyepiece hitting the interior glass of the scopebody. Thanks for your remarks, Mayoayo.

Will the Kowa TE 17W 30X Eyepiece for 773/883 kowa model scopes give a wider field of view and sharper brighter image at 1,000y verses the baader hyperion mk4 eyepice when used with a Kowa 823M prominar scope, Thanks.

Will the Kowa TE 17W 30X Eyepiece for 773/883 kowa model scopes give a wider field of view and sharper brighter image at 1,000y verses the baader hyperion mk4 eyepice when used with a Kowa 823M prominar scope, Thanks.

NO, as it does not fit.
As I re-answered your own query in the item below.

NO, as it does not fit.
As I re-answered your own query in the item below.
Thanks for info
Is there an addaptor to make this eyepiece fit the kowa 823m spotting scope.

Like I said NO with or without adapter.
Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I think I read somewhere the 14 and 17 indicates the size of aperture to go in to.
Therefore you cannot put a 17 into a 14 aperture.
823 etc and 660 scopes have 14 and 770/880/990 have 17 aperture.
So if you have a 823M scope you can ONLY use TSE 14W or Baader mk 4 Zoom or TSE Z9 zoom
end of!

Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I think I read somewhere the 14 and 17 indicates the size of aperture to go in to.
So if you have a 823M scope you can ONLY use TSE 14W or Baader mk 4 Zoom or TSE Z9 zoom
end of!
Thank you for info.

end of!

Hi,

I agree that there is no way that a Kowa large body EP like the TE-17w will fit the odd 820 series bayonet (which is somewhere in the middle between the large and small body bayonets). You could try with a lathe, but will probably destroy the EP...

I beg to disagree on the "aperture theory". The simple proof is that there are two eyepieces with the 17... the TE-17W (the discontinued 30 wide EP for the 770/880 series) and the TSE-17HD (the 25x long eye relief aka LER version for the small body scopes). As one of those two EPs with a 17 in its designation is for small body and the other for large, the 17 can't be about the bayonet diameter or aperture, as you called it (more commonly used for objective lens diameter).

For the Kowa fixed magnification EPs with a number in the designation, it is usually the EP focal length...

TSE-14w - small body scopes all have 420mm focal length divided by 14mm we get 30x
TSE-17HD - 420mm / 17mm = 24,7x - rounded to 25.

TE-17w - 770 and 880 bodies have 500mm focal length divided by 17 = 30x
TE-29HD 500 / 20 = 25x

Cheers,

Joachim

Hi,

I agree that there is no way that a Kowa large body EP like the TE-17w will fit the odd 820 series bayonet (which is somewhere in the middle between the large and small body bayonets). You could try with a lathe, but will probably destroy the EP...

I beg to disagree on the "aperture theory". The simple proof is that there are two eyepieces with the 17... the TE-17W (the discontinued 30 wide EP for the 770/880 series) and the TSE-17HD (the 25x long eye relief aka LER version for the small body scopes). As one of those two EPs with a 17 in its designation is for small body and the other for large, the 17 can't be about the bayonet diameter or aperture, as you called it (more commonly used for objective lens diameter).

For the Kowa fixed magnification EPs with a number in the designation, it is usually the EP focal length...

TSE-14w - small body scopes all have 420mm focal length divided by 14mm we get 30x
TSE-17HD - 420mm / 17mm = 24,7x - rounded to 25.

TE-17w - 770 and 880 bodies have 500mm focal length divided by 17 = 30x
TE-29HD 500 / 20 = 25x

Cheers,

Joachim
I bow to others superior technical knowledge.
All I do is look through them at birds ;)
It is over 50years looking through tho' !

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back