• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa 99S Star test help (1 Viewer)

Tmathews55

United States
New to this
I purchased this scope brand new. When I received it something was clearly wrong, could not get a sharp image at all. I sent it back and without much explanation they replaced the eyepiece and sent it back. This is when I got down the rabbit hole star testing and found out how many issues people are having with this particular scope..

These are the closest depiction I’ve been able to get of what my naked eye is actually seeing. 8C66F197-EF1E-4E32-8125-568549AE7549.jpeg
1BD22ED0-4D54-4809-8708-7B3614550AEE.jpeg

Second image goes blurry any further passed focus. No solid outer ring on this side of the focus. Had a hard time getting the right conditions for visible rings on this side of focus.

Hi,

looks ok to me. A bit of astigmatism, nothing terrible. The undercorrection visible is sth often seen on fast and well color corrected refractors and it does not necessarily mean that there is SA in the objective but rather a limitation of the star test with these instruments.

I would expect this to deliver a usable image at 70x when the seeing allows...

Joachim

Hi,

looks ok to me. A bit of astigmatism, nothing terrible. The undercorrection visible is sth often seen on fast and well color corrected refractors and it does not necessarily mean that there is SA in the objective but rather a limitation of the star test with these instruments.

I would expect this to deliver a usable image at 70x when the seeing allows...

Joachim
Thank you for the response

This sample seems to have better star test results than any 993 sample I have seen so far. None of them had that many and clear rings on both sides as for the correction of spherical aberration.

Is this straight model as there is no evident vertical prism line, which most angled models seem to have?

You should try to directly compare this sample to the Atx95 if you still have access to it. It may be very hard to tell which scope is sharper without direct comparison unless the other one is very bad sample and other is very good. Even then seeing may vary so much that it can affect the result.

Regards, Juhani

This sample seems to have better star test results than any 993 sample I have seen so far. None of them had that many and clear rings on both sides as for the correction of spherical aberration.

Is this straight model as there is no evident vertical prism line, which most angled models seem to have?

You should try to directly compare this sample to the Atx95 if you still have access to it. It may be very hard to tell which scope is sharper without direct comparison unless the other one is very bad sample and other is very good. Even then seeing may vary so much that it can affect the result.

Regards, Juhani
This is a straight model. I’m going to compare it to a friends stx95 soon

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back