• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa BD25 Compacts - 10x has more eye relief than 8x ??? (1 Viewer)

Sydneybirder

I was reading CameraLand's posting re their demo BD compacts
Seems like a good deal.

In examining the specs on these I noticed that the eye relief on the 8x was shorter than the 10x! You would expect it to be the other way around unless the 10x had a different design of eyepiece. Yet both models seem to have a 50 degree AFOV suggesting the same design. I checked the Kowa website and they list the ER as 16.0mm for the 8x and 18.0mm for the 10x. Can anyone who's used these binos confirm that Kowa's figures are correct?

I was reading CameraLand's posting re their demo BD compacts
Seems like a good deal.

In examining the specs on these I noticed that the eye relief on the 8x was shorter than the 10x! You would expect it to be the other way around unless the 10x had a different design of eyepiece. Yet both models seem to have a 50 degree AFOV suggesting the same design. I checked the Kowa website and they list the ER as 16.0mm for the 8x and 18.0mm for the 10x. Can anyone who's used these binos confirm that Kowa's figures are correct?

Too bad you still have not got a reply on this.
I don't surely know, but I would say it's unlikely that the higher power model has longer ER. As you say, it should be the opposite.
And here I want to say that we can't trust the manufacturers stated numbers.
In several cases the stated ER is totally wrong, and this is even for the higher class binoculars like Zeiss and Swarovski.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back