• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa Binoculars 8x25 BD25-10GR (1 Viewer)

Puffins4Life

Puffins4Life
Anyone have experience / opinions on the:

Kowa Binoculars 8x25 BD25-10GR?​

I'm thinking of purchasing a compact set for my car and work desk for casual viewing for when I don't want to lug the Swaro EL 10x42s around. Any other goo dmodels other than the Kowas? I'm willing to spend $250-$350. Thanks!

I have the Kowa BD 8x25. I think they're nice binoculars giving a good image, and with just the right size and shape for comfortable handling despite being small and light. Quite good build quality. Nice compact pouch too that makes them easy to stow away in a bag or large coat pocket.
The one thing to be aware of is that they have an extremely fast focuser. Takes some getting used to.

it small enough to fit in a small pocket?
I guess it will be bigger than the 20mm models...they seem better quality than its brother Kowa SV II 8x25.

Zeiss Terra ED perhaps worth investigating. They have the edge over the Kowa imo.
I agree. You can't beat the Zeiss Terra's 8x25 when you can pick them up for $250 open box on eBay. The Zeiss Terra's 8x25 have a considerably bigger FOV than the Kowa 8x25 BD25 also.

Last edited:
I have never used the Kowa, and just going by the retail price, it seems only logical that the Zeiss Terra is a better device (it's way more expensive, at least in Europe), but here's one thing to consider. Unless you definitely need the folding ability of the Terra, the dual hinge is a bit of a nuisance, and the single hinge on the Kowa will probably make it easier to use, more natural, like any other "conventional" pair. After trying several double hinge models, I just think the single hinge is way superior in terms of comfort and ease of use (but that's probably just me).

agree that the single hinge is better... but the binocular with it will always occupy more... perhaps it would make the difference between being a pocket binocular or not...

agree that the single hinge is better... but the binocular with it will always occupy more... perhaps it would make the difference between being a pocket binocular or not...
Yes, that's why I pointed out if folding was essential. The OP says he want's it "for my car and work desk for casual viewing", so maybe size is not as crucial. In fact, if that was the case, probably an inexpensive 8x32 (like the Diamondback HD) would be an easier one to use. On the other hand, if size and pocketability are crucial, then a double hinge has an obvious advantage.

The single is not that advantageous over the single hinge. I use the single hinge Zeiss Terra 8x25 and carry it in my jacket pocket, and you never have to readjust the IPD but if you want to it will collapse way smaller than a single hinge.

I have never used the Kowa, and just going by the retail price, it seems only logical that the Zeiss Terra is a better device (it's way more expensive, at least in Europe), but here's one thing to consider. Unless you definitely need the folding ability of the Terra, the dual hinge is a bit of a nuisance, and the single hinge on the Kowa will probably make it easier to use, more natural, like any other "conventional" pair. After trying several double hinge models, I just think the single hinge is way superior in terms of comfort and ease of use (but that's probably just me).

Agree. Generally in my experience a single hinge pocket model handles more easily and "naturally" than a dual hinge. That said, for me some dual hinge models handle better than others. For example I prefer the handling of the Zeiss Terra dual hinge compared to the SW 8x25 CL. The Terra is an excellent optical performer for the price as well.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back