• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

KOWA TSN-99 PROMINAR and KOWA TE-80 XW- Binomania preview! (1 Viewer)

binomania

Hello from Italy. Here it is exactly 00.01 on August 2nd 2021, so "finally", after more than a year of waiting, I can publish this news. In April 2020, I had the opportunity to try out the pre-series of the new KOWA TSN-99, whose launch has been scheduled for today, as a world premiere. You can find my impressions and technical data on Binomania.it.
In a few weeks I will post a video review. Good night to all

Last edited:
On paper this looks like my dream birding scope: large enough aperture, long enough focal length, Fluorite objective lens, reasonably light weight, 1.25" eyepiece adapter.

Now the quest begins for a cherry specimen. I don't think Kowa will be putting these together any better than they have been making the 880 series, so the chances of finding a 1/6 wave scope with no other significant optical defects is probably no better than 1 in 10.

Last edited:
On paper this looks like my dream birding scope: large enough aperture, long enough focal length, Fluorite objective lens, reasonably light weight, 1.25" eyepiece adapter.

Now the quest begins for a cherry specimen. I don't think Kowa will be putting these together any better than they have been making the 880 series, so the chances of finding a 1/6 wave scope with no other significant optical defects is probably no better than 1 in 10.

Henry, I have very similar thoughts about this scope. I recently star tested couple of Swarovski ATX95 samples which were better than my 883 and nearly bought one of those but luckily I didn't...

But 1/10 chance of a cherry would in a fact be a good deal I think...

Regards, Juhani

Meh, another oversized beast (although I won't be able to resist taking a gander at it.) I'd rather see a zoom eyepiece that delivers 70-80x on the 88X.

I see the new eyepieces fit the 88X scopes, but deliver lower mags 25x-60x for the zoom.

While I love Zeiss and Swarovski binoculars, I have been waiting on a Kowa Spotting Scope like this one for the past 10 years and now it's here. 👍
The only problem for now is I have an expensive rifle on order.
Heck with it, I'm gonna save up and get this scope too.
Swarovski and Zeiss who?

What I have learned is that something "better" always comes along and the key is learning to be happy and content with the thing you fell in love with last year. That is my story and I am sticking to it for the moment. :)

Last edited:
The story of my life. I just bought an 883 a few weeks ago.
883 is still a stellar scope! Goodness me, it'll hold its value well and will be a good chuck of a deposit in a few years IF you decide you gotta have the 99.

Okay, I read through the review and, well, what is this sorcery?

MIND=BLOWN!

"The most striking difference I perceived comparing it with the excellent Kowa 883 that although it is still one of the best spotting scopes on the market, was not able to provide the sharpness, contrast and detail visible in the new TSN-99."

My 883 performs flawless. Magnificent razor-sharp images across the entire field of view, from edge to edge, with no image distortion or chromatic aberrations even at the very edges, and superb color fidelity. I suppose I got a cherry.

My 883 performs flawless. Magnificent razor-sharp images across the entire field of view, from edge to edge, with no image distortion or chromatic aberrations even at the very edges, and superb color fidelity. I suppose I got a cherry.
Mine does too and I've seen quite a few 883's that were top performers.
Okay, I read through the review and, well, what is this sorcery?

MIND=BLOWN!

"The most striking difference I perceived comparing it with the excellent Kowa 883 that although it is still one of the best spotting scopes on the market, was not able to provide the sharpness, contrast and detail visible in the new TSN-99."
At what magnification(s)?

I hope that sample quality consistency would be decent and better than it has been with 883 as there has been quite many of not so good samples.

And also hopefully the fine focus speed would be "real" fine focus so that it would be easy to operate with high mags. as many would use this scope considering the huge aperture.

I have understood that 99 will accept old TE11-WZ eyepiece so the ones already having that would need the scope body only. The ability to use astro eyepieces is a huge advantage and it would be great to see the image @100-150x mags. with this scope, provided it's a good sample...

Juhani

Will be rooting for you Henry all the way in your quest to find a perfect unit. In fact for all the informative, inspiring ,intelligent posts you have contributed to Birdforum over all these years we members should all club together and treat you to it if and when you find the perfect specimen .🤒
Pete.

I have been using the Swarovski ATM HD 80 with 25-50 eyepiece for like 10 years and recently tempted to upgrade to the two eyes pieces scope like BTX with 115mm or Highlander,...Now I am being swayed by Kowa with a new scopes announcement. The question: Is the modern one eye scope much better than the flagship ATM HD 80mm scope produced a decade ago ? The reviews back then considered the ATM HD 80mm the best among all scopes available during that era.

I hope that sample quality consistency would be decent and better than it has been with 883 as there has been quite many of not so good samples.

And also hopefully the fine focus speed would be "real" fine focus so that it would be easy to operate with high mags. as many would use this scope considering the huge aperture.

I have understood that 99 will accept old TE11-WZ eyepiece so the ones already having that would need the scope body only. The ability to use astro eyepieces is a huge advantage and it would be great to see the image @100-150x mags. with this scope, provided it's a good sample...

Juhani
I do not know much about Kowa scopes and I read somewhere the TE11-WZ II eyepiece could provide 30-70 zoom on 99 scope. How can we get the 99 to see the image @100-150x mags ? I have been using the Swarovski ATM HD 80 with 25-50 eyepiece for like 10 years and tempted to upgrade to the two eyes scope like BTX or Highlander but now being swayed by the new Kowa 99. The question is how much better the latest one eyes scope like Kowa 99 to compare to the decade old scopes like the ATM HD 80 considered to be a flagship and the best of that 2010 era!

Well, according to Binomania the Kowa is clearer than Zeiss Harpia 95 and superior to Swaro ATX95 for CA. And sharper and more contrast than TSN883... Although I really think I am lucky to have an excellent cherry 883 I can't wait to see the new one for real...
And.... Isn't it a real good time for a new Genesis Mark 2? :)

I do not know much about Kowa scopes and I read somewhere the TE11-WZ II eyepiece could provide 30-70 zoom on 99 scope. How can we get the 99 to see the image @100-150x mags ?
With Kowa's astro adapters one can basically use any 1.25" standard barrel eyepiece with Kowa 883 and 99 scopes so it would be easy to pick up one that will provide even more magnification than the standard zoom + 1.6x extender. Some astro eyepieces may not focus to infinity though but nevertheless there should be plenty of those that would.

Regards, Juhani

I do not know much about Kowa scopes and I read somewhere the TE11-WZ II eyepiece could provide 30-70 zoom on 99 scope. How can we get the 99 to see the image @100-150x mags ? I have been using the Swarovski ATM HD 80 with 25-50 eyepiece for like 10 years and tempted to upgrade to the two eyes scope like BTX or Highlander but now being swayed by the new Kowa 99. The question is how much better the latest one eyes scope like Kowa 99 to compare to the decade old scopes like the ATM HD 80 considered to be a flagship and the best of that 2010 era!
With the 1,6x extender, the 99 will result on a 48-112x zoom. You can use also 2 extenders but probably better would be to use a Baader Hyperion 2.25x barlow - would be needed an extra adapter to connect to the Kowa zoom. Barlow lens cells can also be used with the astro eyepieces mentioned by BoldenEagle and help to reach focus i.e. more eps can reach focus but magnifications will be higher.
Two eyes see more than just one and Kowa still didn't reply to the BTX - although having the Highlander - the BTX is more birding friendly than the Highlander since you focus both eyes at the same time and isn't so heavy. Probably is already possible to use a binoviewer with a Kowa 77/88/99 but the resulting magnifications would be too high for birding.
Your last version of the question is better made and the answer depends on your type of birding i.e. image quality will be better but only you can decide if it's significant enough to justify the cost difference!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back