• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa TSN-99X satisfies my favorite kink... (1 Viewer)

Bill Atwood

Supporter
United States
which is an immovable interface between the scope and plate. In addition to the 1/4"-3/8" mounting socket, anti-rotation hole and anti-rotation slot, the 99X foot has a SECOND 1/4"-3/8" mounting socket allowing the use of 2 screws to lock the plate down. This scope should work great on my GHF2W, but I really don't need to replace my MeoStar S2. Well at least this month I don't.

which is an immovable interface between the scope and plate. In addition to the 1/4"-3/8" mounting socket, anti-rotation hole and anti-rotation slot, the 99X foot has a SECOND 1/4"-3/8" mounting socket allowing the use of 2 screws to lock the plate down. This scope should work great on my GHF2W, but I really don't need to replace my MeoStar S2. Well at least this month I don't.
That’s great news Bill - surprised it took so long for one of the leading manufacturers to do that. Looks like Kowa was paying attention. Hmmmmm…… do I need another scope? Not really … but one never knows.

I'd still rather see this foot and 70x implemented on the smaller 883. I probably won't be able to resist trying out the 99A, especially if it drops much below $4k.

I'd still rather see this foot and 70x implemented on the smaller 883. I probably won't be able to resist trying out the 99A, especially if it drops much below $4k
The TSN-99 scopes kit with TE-11WZ II eyepiece is going to start shipping at $3999, so only $1 less. Release date from Kowa is Friday, September 10.

Other improvements also show that they've been listening. On the TSN-880s, the filter threads are on the end of the lens hood, so the filter, if used, is susceptible to lens flare. On the TSN-99, the filter threads are on the objective mount so the lens hood can still do its job.

The sighting groove on the lens hood has had a vertical bump added, making it easier to use.

I took side-by-side photos through an 883 and a 99A with my Panasonic Lumix G-9 and 20mm pancake lens set on the same manual exposure which shows the extra light throughput of the 99. The photos will appear in our review which should be published next week. We'll announce the review when it's posted.

These sure are well made scopes. Now that I have sorted out a good way to attach the 883 foot to a plate without twisting issues, I'm not likely to upgrade. But, the foot on the 99 does look like a positive design change for sure. They should made the same change on their other scopes, including the 883.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back