• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kyrgyzstan - Red-mantled or Blyth's Rosefinch (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
Another iNaturalist suggestion is this Rosefinch from southen Kyrgyzstan (above Osh), which I has as Red-mantled, but it was suggested Blyth's to me - both species are very rarely reported in the area anyway, so either would be pretty interesting ... But which one is it?

Attachments

• c1.jpeg
    c1.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 52
  • c2.jpeg
    c2.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 51
It's on the same tree, within seconds of each other, but that's obviously no guarantee. After 7 years, the photos and the times in them are the only information available :)

In that case I'm leaning towards Blyth's, as the supercilium is distinct, the throat looks rather red and only the two innermost tertials have pale edges, but I'm far from sure as I've never seen either species.

Thanks for the inputs. It just seems pretty hard!

I was not really thinking much about going to Central Asia again soon, but it's so wonderfully underbirded, that I might - in such a case, I will bring a better lens this time :)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back