• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

L-bracket to attach recorder to ME66 pistol grip (1 Viewer)

geastrum

I thought this contraption might interest someone.

I've had a Sennheiser ME66 for a couple of years (just checked, five years and a week) and used it with a Olympus LS-12. I've been very happy with the results, sound quality-wise.

Ergonomically, I haven't been entirely pleased. I got a pistol grip shock mount when I bought the ME66, I believe it's a Auray DUSM-1. I'm happy with that part. But I don't like having the recorder in one hand, and the microphone in the other. And I really don't like having a long cable between them.

I mostly record when I'm traveling abroad, in which case I'll typically have my binoculars around my neck, a camera and 300mm lens in a blackrapid sport sling strap across my chest, and a spotting scope on my shoulder... So my torso is kind of crowded. With the recorder+mic on top of this, I often ended up getting it tangled up, tearing the cable from the mic, getting the recorder to dangle on it's cable, and constantly being at risk of damaging the rather delicate XLR-3.5mm adapter cable.

Tonight, I finally built something I've been thinking about for a while - an L-bracket that allows me to rigidly mount my recorder to the pistol grip holder, and attach the recorder to the mic with a very short (1ft) cable.

I made it with things I had at home:

1) a simple corner bracket from the hardware store
2) a 1/4" thumb screw that I think came from a cheap Chinese flash bracket
3) some self-amalgamating tape

The corner bracket had centrally located holes that were almost perfect. One was large enough for the 3/8" screw on the holder. The central hole on the other side I had to expand a tiny bit with a file so that the 1/4" screw that I used to attach the recorder could get through.

The 1/4" screw was a little bit too long to firmly attach the recorder. A couple extra turns of self-amagalmating tape made it snug.

The fairly large thumb screw makes it easy to detach the recorder to change batteries.

I just built it, so I can't say how it works in the field. But I like that it's one relatively compact unit. I can start and stop recordings with one hand easily. So I think I'll be able to watch a bird with my binoculars with one hand, balance the scope on my shoulder with the same hand, and record the bird with the other hand. That's something that was my goal.

I still need to figure out a good way to attach it to my other gear so that it is easily accessible and comfortable to carry.

Thoughts? Has anyone built something similar? I haven't seen anything like it on here, I think.

Attachments

• rsz_img_20200307_231540053.jpg
    rsz_img_20200307_231540053.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 59
  • rsz_img_20200307_231554194.jpg
    rsz_img_20200307_231554194.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 58
That is very impressive. Nicely done!

Does the recorder stand off of the handle sufficiently to allow a full grip?

Have you looked into the video camera and microphone solutions offered by companies like Small Rig for cinematography? You seem to be carrying a substantial rig into the forests.

Best to you,
Jerry

Last edited:
That is very impressive. Nicely done!

Does the recorder stand off of the handle sufficiently to allow a full grip?

Have you looked into the video camera and microphone solutions offered by companies like Small Rig for cinematography? You seem to be carrying a substantial rig into the forests.

Best to you,
Jerry

No, not quite a full grip. It's actually rather comfortable anyway (I have small hands and the grip has a rather large diameter). But it would be better if it stood out just a little bit more. I might look for a slightly larger bracket next time I'm at the hardware store.

No, I haven't looked into the small rig offerings. I've seen some of them used in macro photography (another interest of mine) and they look nice and well constructed. But I'm more of a DIY-on-the-cheap kind of guy, rather than someone who pays for ready-made solutions.

Another thing: I'm a birder first and foremost. So 95% of the time I only use my binoculars and spotting scope. I photograph and record sounds mainly to learn and document. I don't do video, so I'm not interested in using the camera and recorder at the same time. So basically I just want the camera and recorder to be there when I need them, and not distract me from birding. But I don't think I'm alone in this, so I thought it was worth sharing!

Another thing: I'm a birder first and foremost. So 95% of the time I only use my binoculars and spotting scope. I photograph and record sounds mainly to learn and document. I don't do video, so I'm not interested in using the camera and recorder at the same time. So basically I just want the camera and recorder to be there when I need them, and not distract me from birding. But I don't think I'm alone in this, so I thought it was worth sharing!

Yes, your sharing was very much appreciated. Personally, I’m always looking for new ways and tips on how to manage gear (particularly since I’m getting rather high on the age scale).

That’s why I suggested Small Rig and other video/camera systems. Not so much as items for purchase but more as ideas for crafty diy projects. I liked your idea very much and your thoughts may find their way into my whale tracking kit.

Thanks and best,
Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back