• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ladder-backed woodpeckers? - So. Cal. (1 Viewer)

dant1999

I saw these birds last winter in the Antelope Valley in an area where both Nuttall's and ladder-backed woodpeckers are known to occur. Are these both ladder-backed woodpeckers. I wasn't sure I could positively ID with enough field characteristics because of the quality of the photos (too far or partially obscured) but was wondering if the amount of red on the crown is enough (restricted to hind crown only on Nuttall's but variably extending to the eye on ladder-backed). Any thoughts?

Attachments

• _MG_5291.JPG
    _MG_5291.JPG
    242.2 KB · Views: 106
  • _MG_9284.JPG
    _MG_9284.JPG
    282.6 KB · Views: 120
I agree with Silverwolf..believing both to be Ladder-backed....the second image shows a ''deep'' white super and nape..greater than might be expected for Nuttall's?, also the red on the head (not helped by photo artefact) I think extends to the eye at least.

cheers

Well, I defer to you guys because I'm just a noob, but Sibley shows the 'Solid black on upper back' for the Nuttalls?

Jim

Well, I defer to you guys because I'm just a noob, but Sibley shows the 'Solid black on upper back' for the Nuttalls?

Jim

I have never heard of this identification feature before, though I trust Sibley knows his stuff.

Well, if this was true then both would be Nuttall's according to your photos. Of course, in a good viewing situation that isn't so subject to lighting etc. something like this might be more reliable. If 3/4 features point towards Ladder-backed (as on your birds), then it would take more than the lack of that last feature to convince me otherwise (unless it was a super distinctive feature).

Both Ladder-backed. In the first photo the extensive red on the crown, the really wide supercillium and the fact the 'face' and neck pattern are seperate from the upperparts. The second photo also shows the first 2 points plus rather narrow white bars on the upperparts reaching almost to the base of the neck ( the, wider, bars on Nuttal's stop short leaving a black 'shawl' at the top of the mantle ).

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back