• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Lammergeier wing tag Pyrenees (1 Viewer)

rosbifs

Well-known tool
France
with Dragnil today saw a wing tagged adult Lammergeier.

I could only see the right side as it was perched and distant so can't say if the other wing was tagged. It had, seemingly, a red tag that may have had a white top and if pushed a capital G or 6. The white may have been a second tag hidden mostly by the first or a two colour tag - again if pushed 10/20% white followed by red....
Any takers...

The feathers didn't seemed marked it it was very distant. The coloration seemed 'creamy' we commented rather than the usual orange which may suggest a younger adult or even Corsican bird.....

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!

rosbifs

Well-known tool
France
That just means it hasn't had much access to red dust to dustbathe in; the orange is mineral dust, not plumage colour. The natural feather colour of Lammergeiers is white, in zoos they stay like that unless they deliberately provide dust for them:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Deutsche_Greifenwarte_Bartgeier.jpg

Hence the comment about it being Corsican where the Lammys tend to be whiter than the Pyrenees because of lack of access to 'iron' baths or dust....

http://www.gopa-pyrénées.fr/gypaete-barbu-premieres-images-en-nature-du-bain-de-boue-ferrugineuse/

rosbifs

Well-known tool
France
Ok firing off an email to Spain - looks like might be one of three birds as I only saw the right side....

rosbifs

Well-known tool
France
Reply received
I think that this Bearded vulture is a female –not territorial bird- named Anayet. Its right tag is fuchsia –not red-. It’s very easy to confuse this color with red. With the inscription in white “Y6”. It lost its left wing tag blue two years ago.

Its 6 year old -7cy-, and it was tagged by us when it was 3 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread