• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large-billed Leaf Warbler or Arctic Warber, Jiangsu Province, China (1 Viewer)

deanman

Please help ID the warbler, Large-billed Leaf Warbler or Arctic Warber. No call or sound recorded. Photo was taken today. Tks.

Attachments

• P5080751-1-.jpg
    P5080751-1-.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 52
  • P5080749-1-2-.jpg
    P5080749-1-2-.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 56
  • P5080755-1-.jpg
    P5080755-1-.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 41
  • P5080738-1-.jpg
    P5080738-1-.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 56
It is one of the 'Arctic' Warbler complex IMHO, on account of a combination of short p1, lack of emarginated p6 and long pp, and quite possibly borealis; individuals with unusually dark bare parts have been observed (rarely) in the region, in Hong Kong for example, which may originate from Alaska (?) where similar birds appear to be regular, previously recognized as a distinct taxon kennicotti it has now subsumed by nominate the form.

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/1...1.1187381068.1619451551-1774377679.1616000388

For comparison with LBLW see https://www.shanghaibirding.com/birds-of-china/large-billed-leaf-warbler/ note in particular, darker crown and different bill structure and any pale at the bill base is pink/flesh in tone, similar to Pale-legged and Sakhalin Leaf Warblers, its closest relatives.

Grahame

Last edited:
Apart from all that has been said deanman, I believe your first image shows a “classic” Arctic Warbler profile...a long relatively “deep“ barrel of white under-tail coverts which in turn gives a “short-tailed” impression, apart from P.sibilatrix (Wood Warbler) these are the only two Phylloscopus species that “I’m aware of”(always questionable) to show such a profile?

Cheers

@KenM You mean Arctic Warbler complex I think? I am not sure which species occur there but I suspect at least Graham's confusion species are possible vagrants too...

cheers,
Gerben

Thanks Grahame, I thought as much. So the arctic warbler complex is a 'problem' for the entire East-Asian pacific region (so to speak)
I was not sure if there is not a 4th species mudding the complex

cheers,
Gerben

It is one of the 'Arctic' Warbler complex IMHO, on account of a combination of short p1, lack of emarginated p6 and long pp, and quite possibly borealis; individuals with unusually dark bare parts have been observed (rarely) in the region, in Hong Kong for example, which may originate from Alaska (?) where similar birds appear to be regular, previously recognized as a distinct taxon kennicotti it has now subsumed by nominate the form.

Arctic Warbler Macaulay Library ML104252471

For comparison with LBLW see Large-billed Leaf Warbler | Shanghai Birding 上海观鸟 note in particular, darker crown and different bill structure and any pale at the bill base is pink/flesh in tone, similar to Pale-legged and Sakhalin Leaf Warblers, its closest relatives.

Grahame
Thanks your great help for the ID. The Warbler's toe and tarsus is more dark/black than others Arctic Warbler here before. And my friend told me maybe LBLW for this type have the similar color toe and tarsus. And other friend told me maybe it's old age Arctic Warbler borealis, but I not sure for no photos can check. Thanks again.

Apart from all that has been said deanman, I believe your first image shows a “classic” Arctic Warbler profile...a long relatively “deep“ barrel of white under-tail coverts which in turn gives a “short-tailed” impression, apart from P.sibilatrix (Wood Warbler) these are the only two Phylloscopus species that “I’m aware of”(always questionable) to show such a profile?

Cheers
Thanks KenM. First look I think a Arctic Warbler, and later I found the toe and tarsus is more dark/black than other Arctic Warbler observed local. So confused again.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back