• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large Bird of Prey 2100m in Morzine (French Alps)... what was it? (1 Viewer)

AlpineWatcher

United Kingdom
Heh all new here but am an avid bird of prey lover. I'm used to seeing Red Kites, Buzzards etc and habe been to Morzine in the French Alps for the last 29 years mountain biking.

Every year I see buzzards (possibly honey buzzards) but this year I went up to the top of Pointe we Nyon which is 2100m high. On the way up there were 3 large birds, 2 possibly kite sized but not arrow tailed and the 3rd was absolutely huge... white wing insert dark outer colour with fingered wing tips if that makes sense. Again it was not arrow tailed and as I see Red Kites daily at home this bird was huge in comparison.

Does anyone have any clear ideas of what it could be?

There were also two hawks circling around but I couldn't make out the colours... one was incredibly long bodied and tailed but still only a hawk sized bird.

Thanks

I was hoping you'd say Golden Eagle. The colours seem to match that and the size was huge from what I'm used to seeing. It had two other similar shaped birds with it but were smaller. I didn't think Golden Eagles would be this far down or as low as 2100m. Was a wonderful sight anyway.

Two were possibly juveniles and the one which stood out was similar distance away as the others but was a good 3rd of the size bigger. I was going up on the Nyon chairlift and seeing these three just gliding around easily whilst the two hawks were spiralling around diving and banking.

Looking at the outline of the Griffon Vulture.. it may even have been one of these.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back