• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Large dead bird ☹️ (1 Viewer)

Daisyduck

United Kingdom
Hi

I am new here but I have had this photo since autumn!

Sadly I found this bird at the side of a field, next to a telegraph pole in South East London/Kent UK.

I have been trying for months to identify it with no luck. It was very large maybe E6A097AB-6933-41AF-8F4F-329C7C0981A9.jpeg the size of a heron. The red circle is the head.

Thank you so much

Daisy

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi Daisyduck and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Sorry, can't work out what that is, but no doubt someone will soon be along with some ideas for uyou.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
Being from the other side of the pond, I have no idea but we're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like.

Daisyduck

United Kingdom
Hi Daisyduck and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Sorry, can't work out what that is, but no doubt someone will soon be along with some ideas for uyou.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thank you so much 😊

stevethehydra

The comparison to heron may have "primed" me for this, but I'm half-seriously wondering if this could have been a Bittern?? Legs/feet seem a bit small for that though maybe (and I can't really make out much of the head...)

Daisyduck

United Kingdom
The comparison to heron may have "primed" me for this, but I'm half-seriously wondering if this could have been a Bittern?? Legs/feet seem a bit small for that though maybe (and I can't really make out much of the head...)
Hi Steve

Thank you, I think you are right. The body shape definitely matched with a Bittern and it was what I initially thought. Do you know if they can be found in Kent?

The beak was very straight and black. I didn’t get a good picture of it sorry😊

Joern Lehmhus

Pattern and direction of wing coverts are wrong for Common Pheasant, but these markings also do not seem to fit to a juvenile larger gull in my opinion?
Black bill would be wrong at least for a living great bittern ...
any more photos even if they do not look very different?

Daisyduck

United Kingdom
Pattern and direction of wing coverts are wrong for Common Pheasant, but these markings also do not seem to fit to a juvenile larger gull in my opinion?
Black bill would be wrong at least for a living great bittern ...
any more photos even if they do not look very different?
Hi Joern

Unfortunately not! I didn’t notice the head until I looked back at the picture. I went back to take another photo the next day and it was destroyed. ☹️

jurek

Hello, most likely is a juvenile large gull (Herring/Lesser Black-backed). Undertail coverts look right for a gull, but very wrong for a Curlew or a Bittern (two species I also contemplated). Female Pheasant has different feather pattern. Short legs are also good for a gull.

Daisyduck

United Kingdom
Hello, most likely is a juvenile large gull (Herring/Lesser Black-backed). Undertail coverts look right for a gull, but very wrong for a Curlew or a Bittern (two species I also contemplated). Female Pheasant has different feather pattern. Short legs are also good for a gull.
Hello! Thank you 😊 it seems to be a probable match. I am having trouble with the markings, is this common with a juvenile gull? They were almost like leopard spots.

I am new to birding but have always had an interest in nature, I would say it was so large, much bigger than any gull I have ever seen and the beak was a point at the end that’s why I initially doubted it.

jurek

Hi, this is typical pattern of young gulls, very different from sleek adults of the same species.
On your photo, it looks like the legs dried with toes together, and look right for short, broad webbed toes found in a gull.
To help you in ID, you can look at the useful site Featherbase:
and even more useful is the plenty of photos on Ebird:

But I am sure there are people much better in feather ID than me on this site.

Daisyduck

United Kingdom
Hi, this is typical pattern of young gulls, very different from sleek adults of the same species.
On your photo, it looks like the legs dried with toes together, and look right for short, broad webbed toes found in a gull.
To help you in ID, you can look at the useful site Featherbase:
and even more useful is the plenty of photos on Ebird:

But I am sure there are people much better in feather ID than me on this site.
Amazing thank you so much!!!

Users who are viewing this thread