• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large Hawk and Small type hawk ID Oklahoma, US (1 Viewer)

OK_Scissortail

Oklahoma State Bird
Two to ID..I think the larger one may be a Sharp Shinned but not sure. The small type hawk looks like what we called a sparrow hawk or chicken hawk when I was a kid. I hope you all can make some out of my poor photos. Thanks :)

Attachments

• hawkunknown.jpg
    hawkunknown.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 509
  • unknown2.jpg
    unknown2.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 286
The first photo is a young Red-shouldered Hawk. Notice the translucent crescent-shaped "windows" at the end of the wings. Notice also the pale orange "shoulders" and the tail with dark bands thicker than the white bands.

I agree on American Kestrel for the second photo. It did used to be known as "Sparrow Hawk ".

Best,
Jim

Second American Kestrel for sure, the smallest and most common North American falcon, formerly known as the Sparrow Hawk.

Okay cool! Two more I can mark off my list. Very excited about the Red Shouldered Hawk..I have never seen one before so now know what to look for. Thanks! :)

I agree on the ID's, how cool is the Kestrel. I spotted my first from my car and I just so happened to have my camera with me. It was cool.

Matt

Agree the Kestrel is cool too. I spotted this one from the car way off on a tree line so had to get out of car and track it down. Wouldn't let me close at all, kept jumping around or flying to another tree so got this blur shot of it from too far away. Since then I have seen several but the ones here are flighty and don't stay around long at all. Maybe I'll get another chance soon. Glad you got a picture of one MLoyko. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back