• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large head = Cooper's? (1 Viewer)

IMO unidentifiable on this view. If I was forced to take a shot, I’d say Sharpie based on the relatively large eye (that is, if it actually is relatively large. . .;)).

In general principle, the larger the bird, the smaller its head is in proportion to its body (in extremis, think of comparing the relative head sizes of a Kinglet and an Ostrich) - so from this, large head should = Sharp-shin.

In general principle, the larger the bird, the smaller its head is in proportion to its body (in extremis, think of comparing the relative head sizes of a Kinglet and an Ostrich) - so from this, large head should = Sharp-shin.

Yes, but the Sharpie is said to be an exception to the rule (if it is a rule), with a head relatively smaller (but eye relatively larger) than that of its larger cousin. In my experience, however, the difference is often not all that obvious in the field. . ..

Does Sharp-shinned ever flair its undertail coverts like that? I know Cooper's sometimes does.

I’ve often wondered about that myself. BNA-online reports the behavior for Coops but says nothing about it one way or the other with reference to Sharpies. I lived in Reno for many years where I used to see it regularly in the breeding season at a Cooper’s nesting territory in one of the local parks.

Last edited:
I’d be surprised if Sharpie didn’t flare it’s UTC’s, as Eurasian Goshawk and Sparrowhawk do...as does Cooper’s?

Cheers

Front view of bird in question

Thanks for the replies so far. Here's a front view of the same bird at the same time. Any help?

Attachments

• DSC_1490.jpg
    DSC_1490.jpg
    773.8 KB · Views: 21
Thanks for the replies so far. Here's a front view of the same bird at the same time. Any help?

Ah, that's just what we needed. For our local accipiters ventral views are king. This one shows all the Sharpie fieldmarks: heavy chest/belly streaking, squared-off tail tip (outer feathers approx. same length as inner), small head.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back