• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large objective APM binoculars? (1 Viewer)

For extreme long distance nothing beats a spotting scope but those big binoculars on a carbon fiber monopod carried in your back seat would be great for wider angle views and wildlife spotting. Nothing beats using two eyes in a binocular.

That's the goal which is why I pay attention to eye relief with my glasses and the Field of View.

My spotting scope is really nice but, it is a bit like looking at the world through a soda straw.

That's the goal which is why I pay attention to eye relief with my glasses and the Field of View.

My spotting scope is really nice but, it is a bit like looking at the world through a soda straw.
Have you ever compared your big APC binoculars to any of the alpha roofs in comparable sizes and if you have which ones did you prefer for the view?

So far, my favorites are an older pair of Minox Porro bins that I think might have been made by Leica. Resolution with them is outstanding just like the view.

The Swarovski NL Pures were underwhelming to me and the price didn't help the impression either. My Lecia NV's are currently lost in the USPS system and tracing so far has been worthless. I'm at the point of starting to wonder about filing a loss claim as all I have is a drop-off confirmation with daily delivery messages and no tracking information.

My Zeiss 8x33's probably aren't really a fair comparison point for this thread and I have them for totally different uses.

Looking through my Minox and spotting scope has me thinking a large pair of APM 16x80's would be a good option for a better and wider field of view and the extra power will bring in things I have trouble seeing with my Minox bins or loose during movement with my spotting scope.

The price point of those bins makes the 'leap' to getting a pair to try out much easier than my ultimate decision to get those Leica NV's which are about three times the cost though, they should be a lot easier to hang around my neck or stuff in a backpack. Assuming the Leica NV bins show up, it remains to be seen if they will hang around for the long term or get traded off for a different pair or two of Porros.

I have handheld my 20-60x86 spotting scope for brief periods. While not easy or really practical in most cases, it is possible.

These big bins with a carbon fiber tripod aren't that hard to backpack to a good spot. Yes, 8lb~10lb makes this system a bit heavy but, depending on use might be a good option for some people. Resting my arms on a fence, table, or something similar will make hand-holding easier though not as steady probably as a good tripod.

Is it better or worse than packing my spotting scope? 🤔
You'll simply have to try it.
I much prefer using two eyes and dislike carrying a tripod, so my CTS 85 remains mostly on the shelf and my current go to is a 12x50.

Last edited:
Hi,

two persons from the astro club own a pair of APM 120mm binos each. Both are quite nice. On the other hand the usual problems of sharing a piece of equipment - setting IPD is necessary and might well move the object out of the fov if one is not very careful. Diopter setting is absent due to IF...

Joachim

If you like long distance observing and a two eyed view then the 45degree 70/82mm binoculars might fit the bill. You choose the eyepiece - field of view/eye relief. Tripod mounted gives a fully stable view, I have used mine at a few 10s m close focus (maybe I should measure it more accurately). I run mine at 30x normally with wide field eyepieces as a more comfortable spotter. IF is nice for moving targets, but by twisting both eyecups you can move close/further away fairly easily.
My 70mm are 4kg, but reasonably back packed for several hours with a short light weight tripod. Best used for long seated sessions, but fine for standing in-field use. If you are looking for a in between pair from 8x to 20x then a 12x image stabilised might be better, you really do want to stabilise the view to get the most detail out of whatever you are using.

Peter

Какво прави тази постоянна глупост тук?
Нямате ли програма за превод накрая?

Андреас
Всичко, което пиша, превеждам на английски с Google Translate. и така го казах. Не знам какво се е променило на сайта тук.

Всичко, което пиша, превеждам на английски с Google Translate. и така го казах. Не знам какво се е променило на сайта тук.
Sie werden es mir nachsehen das ich in diesem Fall jede weitere Konversation mit ihnen einstelle!
Mir wäre Deutsch oder Niederländisch auch lieber, aber das Forum hat sich nunmal sinnvollerweise darauf verständigt in Englisch zu kommunizieren, Pech für uns beide, ich kann aber damit leben... und sie?

Andreas

What 12x50? Did you say it was an SV? Can you hold it steady?
The Leica UV+
Yes for daytime viewing
All the tests say the Swaro is 'better' for this and that, and for astro you can't ignore those facts. The Leica may lack ultimate brightness, may have less than perfect edges and minor optical niggles could make them unusable for you. Certainly 11mm ER is rubbish for wearers of spectacles, and I carry them much of the time over my shoulder when walking.
Nevertheless there are things which we cannot measure

Sie werden es mir nachsehen das ich in diesem Fall jede weitere Konversation mit ihnen einstelle!
Mir wäre Deutsch oder Niederländisch auch lieber, aber das Forum hat sich nunmal sinnvollerweise darauf verständigt in Englisch zu kommunizieren, Pech für uns beide, ich kann aber damit leben ... und sie?

Андреас
Ja natürlich. Danke für alles.

The Leica UV+
Yes for daytime viewing
All the tests say the Swaro is 'better' for this and that, and for astro you can't ignore those facts. The Leica may lack ultimate brightness, may have less than perfect edges and minor optical niggles could make them unusable for you. Certainly 11mm ER is rubbish for wearers of spectacles, and I carry them much of the time over my shoulder when walking.
Nevertheless there are things which we cannot measure

Are you saying the Leica UV+ are 11mm of Eye Relief? :eek:

At less than a 1/2", that would be exceptionally tight for almost anyone with glasses.

Are you saying the Leica UV+ are 11mm of Eye Relief? :eek:

At less than a 1/2", that would be exceptionally tight for almost anyone with glasses.

Canip measured the ER of his whole collection( ! a wonderful resource). The official Leica spec for the 12x50 UV+ is 13mm (from the glass), but as measured from the rubber eyecup the true usable ER is 11mm.

I would dearly love to compare a 12x42 NL in use over a couple of days

I purchased the APM APO 12x50 Porro from APM for $500. I bet it will give any of the alpha 12x50 roofs a run for their money. In Allbinos rankings I have the top 7x50 the Fujinon FMTR-SX, the top 8x56 the Steiner Shadowquest and the 2nd 10x50 under the Nikon WX the Fujinon FMTR-SX. The APM APO's are really as good as the Fujinon FMTR-SX if not a little better. They have less CA with the ED glass.

I purchased the APM APO 12x50 Porro from APM for $500. I bet it will give any of the alpha 12x50 roofs a run for their money. In Allbinos rankings I have the top 7x50 the Fujinon FMTR-SX, the top 8x56 the Steiner Shadowquest and the 2nd 10x50 under the Nikon WX the Fujinon FMTR-SX. The APM APO's are really as good as the Fujinon FMTR-SX if not a little better. They have less CA with the ED glass.

I've been looking to find a Zeiss Victory HT but, I think I'll wait until I hear about your experience with the Steiner ShadowQuest. The specs on that one look really good to me and to be honest, I wasn't aware of it until you posted about it a few days ago.

Hi Bockos, I'm sure many other members also use Google Translate but this only seems to be happening to you. If you describe your process, surely we can figure out what has changed and what you need to do differently now. In case it gets complicated, you could start a thread on the separate section devoted to problems with the new forum: Birdforum upgrade (I'll look for it)

I've been looking to find a Zeiss Victory HT but, I think I'll wait until I hear about your experience with the Steiner ShadowQuest. The specs on that one look really good to me and to be honest, I wasn't aware of it until you posted about it a few days ago.
I think in the Cloudy Nights thread they mention the Shadowquest doesn't quite have as big of a FOV as Steiner claims. The new Shadowquest 8x56 has about the same FOV as the older Steiner Nighhunter in reality, but it is still quite good for a 8x56. Outside of that it is an excellent Porro prism. It is REALLY bright in low light. It will give the HT 8x54 a run for the money I am sure. To be honest I am really starting to appreciate these bigger aperture binoculars. When you are used to the brightness in low light and the easy eye placement of a 56 mm it is hard to go back to a wimpy 42 mm! The 56 mm pulls in 56% more light than a 42 mm. 56% MORE LIGHT! Think about that for a while!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back