• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large wasp and a few dragonflies from Cuba December 2020 any help please (1 Viewer)

I wonder if the red libellulid is Crocothemis servilia, an Asian species that was accidentally into the New World & does occur in Cuba.

I was wondering about the new-ish species Antillean Skimmer (don't know the scientific name, or even if it has one yet). Or possibly Orthemis ferruginea (Roseate Skimmer), which is the species it got split off from. In theory I have a book that might let me work it out, but I have no idea where the book is so that's not much help.

The third photo looks very good for female Orthemis ferruginea, but without the book I'm not sure if it's even possible to tell the two species apart from photos. The internet is full of photos taken before the two were split and when it comes to that side of the Atlantic I only have book-knowledge.

The last one I can't get any closer than "dragonfly", sorry.

Orthemis ferruginea crossed my mind initially for the first photo but the pterostigma looks quite different in this species to the OP's photo. I initially checked against images in a photo guide I have of the dragonflies of Florida & then looked at numerous photos on-line & my conclusion was it didn't look right.

I think Orthemis ferruginea (Roseate Skimmer) for the reddish one with the purplish thorax. The large number of Ax and the (apparent) black legs are not features of Crocothemis.
Aaah! Missed the previous posts

I found my copy of Paulson, which is a relief. That says the third photo is a female Roseate Skimmer, Orthemis ferruginea. Seems the patterning on the side of the thorax is distinctive. The male in the second photo looks like Antillean Skimmer to me, but not having seen photos other than one of each species in the book I'll defer to anyone who disagrees.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back