Larger bird - Elk Island National Park, Alberta Canada (and a funny photo to boot!) (1 Viewer)

cdnbarbie

Need your help again. Three of these birds were flying above a pond yesterday at Elk Island National Park, just east of Edmonton, Alberta Canada. They are quite large - I would guess 18" at least when their heads are extended (as in the one photo) They may be immature something-or-others which makes identification for me impossible as my knowledge base is very limited for Alberta, being an import from Ontario. So give it your best shot. As always, your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Pay special attention to the second image. There are two birds on the post. I burst out laughing when I saw the photos as I didn't see this by the naked eye...thank goodness for zoom lenses! This was a one in a million capture. |:D| The second bird is fine by the way...the sequence of shots captured clearly show one :C bird.

Thanks!
Barb

Attachments

• IMG_3635 copy.jpg
    IMG_3635 copy.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_3662 copy.jpg
    IMG_3662 copy.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_3674 copy.jpg
    IMG_3674 copy.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

Dave B Smith

Barb,
Nice photos and a confirmation for juvenile Black-crowned Night-Heron. I didn't notice the 2 for 1 second photo until I re-read your post. great shot.

danehower

cdnbarbie said:
Need your help again. Three of these birds were flying above a pond yesterday at Elk Island National Park, just east of Edmonton, Alberta Canada. They are quite large - I would guess 18" at least when their heads are extended (as in the one photo) They may be immature something-or-others which makes identification for me impossible as my knowledge base is very limited for Alberta, being an import from Ontario. So give it your best shot. As always, your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Pay special attention to the second image. There are two birds on the post. I burst out laughing when I saw the photos as I didn't see this by the naked eye...thank goodness for zoom lenses! This was a one in a million capture. |:D| The second bird is fine by the way...the sequence of shots captured clearly show one :C bird.

Thanks!
Barb
LOL ! - That is funny . Sibling rivalry I guess . Nice pictures !

Users who are viewing this thread