• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lark ID Morocco (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

When I first saw this lark in late March just north of Agadir (Morocco) I assumed on colouration and markings that it was going to be a Crested. However, when approaching it to obtain closer views I was able to note that the bill's lower mandible seemed convex (obviously so in foreshortened photos where the bird was facing towards or away from me) and the uppertail coverts contrasted with the rump being distinctly more rustier. The habitat was anomalous and could fit either species but the bird persistently perched on and sand from small bushes. Since these points would make me confident that the bird was a Thekla's had I seen it in Spain I assumed that's what it was and what seemed anomalous (apparently longer than expected bill, warmer overall tone and relatively pale, fine chest streaks) could be put down to it belonging to the ruficolor race. However, close inspection of my photos back in the UK show that what appears to be the first primary (A) is distinctly shorter than the primary coverts (B) which is usually diagnostic for Crested! Comments welcome!

Attachments

• Theklablog2.jpg
    Theklablog2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Theklablog1.jpg
    Theklablog1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Theklablog3.jpg
    Theklablog3.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Theklablog6.jpg
    Theklablog6.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Theklablog7.jpg
    Theklablog7.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 22
John, P1 can be shorter than PC in Thekla, ranging from 3<PC to 5>PC whereas in Crested always shorter (2-8<PC). I would suggest your bird may well fall within the overlap range.

Grahame

Good to hear from you Grahame - it's a long time since we last met and longer still since we first met (frighteningly, it must be nigh on 50 years). I'm grateful to you and Skbirder for the clarification as I was unaware that first primary length in the two sister species can overlap to such a degree (having been firmly told a few years back that this was never the case). It's good to know I was right after all although for one used to Andalucian birds this individual was certainly instructive.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back