• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Larus sp. (Spain) (1 Viewer)

SLopezM

Sergio López Martín
Hello everyone. Last week, I saw a group of 6-7 of these seagulls flying over my house in Guadalajara (Spain). What species is it? Sadly, I have no more pictures. My guess is Larus fuscus, but I don't know if L. michahellis (or any other similar species which I don't know about) can be ruled out with this image.

Attachments

• Gaviota sombría (Larus fuscus).jpg
    Gaviota sombría (Larus fuscus).jpg
    816.6 KB · Views: 48

Alexander Stöhr

Hello Sergio,
because of extensive dark markings at the bill (rare so large in adult Gulls) and lack of large white mirror, this is an immature Gull (3 cy or 4 cy).
I think, youre bird looks better for Larus fuscus, as you said:
really and extensive dark inner primaries and secondaries on the underwing and just discernable blackish-dark inner primaries are better for a Lesser black-backed Gull.

Yellow legged Gull has darker secondaries on the underwing compared to a Herring Gull, but not so dark like your bird.
Caveat: underexposure and enhanced contrasted (done by the jpeg-engine of the camera) might enhance this.

Question to the experts here: is the complete lack of any pale window at p10 and p9 better for a LBBG or is this within variation for an immature YLG? I underestimated variation in large Gulls in recent threads and am gratefull for help again!

lou salomon

the birdonist
Question to the experts here: is the complete lack of any pale window at p10 and p9 better for a LBBG or is this within variation for an immature YLG? I underestimated variation in large Gulls in recent threads and am gratefull for help again!

i suppose you mean mirrors instead of window, alexander? it is possible in both LBBG and YLG. this bird looks to be a 3rd cycle/3rd winter) and clearly is a LBBG. it has a totally black underside of p10, contrasting secondaries, slim shape and head striation.

Users who are viewing this thread