• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

larus to identify (1 Viewer)

Hi Juancar,
Are there any more images of this bird? While it may well be a Herring Gull, as Jean says, I am finding it difficult to conclusively exclude a darker lusitanius Yellow-legged Gull. I have never (knowingly) seen this taxon, not having visited its geographical range, but some birds can be quite well-marked below. Something about the head and bill on this bird look, if not wrong for Herring Gull, interesting enough to make me wonder.
Regards,
Harry

Hi Juancar,
Are there any more images of this bird? While it may well be a Herring Gull, as Jean says, I am finding it difficult to conclusively exclude a darker lusitanius Yellow-legged Gull. I have never (knowingly) seen this taxon, not having visited its geographical range, but some birds can be quite well-marked below. Something about the head and bill on this bird look, if not wrong for Herring Gull, interesting enough to make me wonder.
Regards,
Harry
I have only this one,
IMG_8917.JPG

it's exactly what i thought, harry. and the second pic confirms it. :t:
i think i was too shy to present this ID conundrum: lusitanius YLGs often being mistaken for HG since they are heavily marked. on the lack of pale inner primaries and this bird being "at home" in lusie-country, it's pretty clear that it is one indeed. well done, harry!

i think i was too shy to present this ID conundrum: lusitanius YLGs often being mistaken for HG since they are heavily marked. on the lack of pale inner primaries and this bird being "at home" in lusie-country, it's pretty clear that it is one indeed. well done, harry!

Missed again ! :C
Jean

:t:

It is one. But remember to start a new thread in case the new bird is not related to the original title, as it is the case (many people avoid Larus ID photos like the plague ;) , and many will not open this thread just based on the title...).

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back