larus to identify (1 Viewer)

HH75

Hi Juancar,
Are there any more images of this bird? While it may well be a Herring Gull, as Jean says, I am finding it difficult to conclusively exclude a darker lusitanius Yellow-legged Gull. I have never (knowingly) seen this taxon, not having visited its geographical range, but some birds can be quite well-marked below. Something about the head and bill on this bird look, if not wrong for Herring Gull, interesting enough to make me wonder.
Regards,
Harry

juancar dieguez

Hi Juancar,
Are there any more images of this bird? While it may well be a Herring Gull, as Jean says, I am finding it difficult to conclusively exclude a darker lusitanius Yellow-legged Gull. I have never (knowingly) seen this taxon, not having visited its geographical range, but some birds can be quite well-marked below. Something about the head and bill on this bird look, if not wrong for Herring Gull, interesting enough to make me wonder.
Regards,
Harry
I have only this one,
IMG_8917.JPG

lou salomon

the birdonist
it's exactly what i thought, harry. and the second pic confirms it. :t:
i think i was too shy to present this ID conundrum: lusitanius YLGs often being mistaken for HG since they are heavily marked. on the lack of pale inner primaries and this bird being "at home" in lusie-country, it's pretty clear that it is one indeed. well done, harry!

Jean FRANCOIS

i think i was too shy to present this ID conundrum: lusitanius YLGs often being mistaken for HG since they are heavily marked. on the lack of pale inner primaries and this bird being "at home" in lusie-country, it's pretty clear that it is one indeed. well done, harry!

Missed again ! :C
Jean

juancar dieguez

:t:

RafaelMatias

Unknown member
Portugal
It is one. But remember to start a new thread in case the new bird is not related to the original title, as it is the case (many people avoid Larus ID photos like the plague ;) , and many will not open this thread just based on the title...).

Users who are viewing this thread