• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Las Vegas, NV USA. Cassin's Finch? (1 Viewer)

I could use some help. Recently moved to to central Las Vegas. This is in my back yard. Seems larger, longer tailed, and more destinct wing pattern than the house finch in the NW USA. Is it possibly a cassins or am I way off?

I think you have two birds here. One is certainly a house finch (the last image), the other is more ambiguous given the quality of photos, though I would still lean towards a darker House Finch.

I think you have two birds here. One is certainly a house finch (the last image), the other is more ambiguous given the quality of photos, though I would still lean towards a darker House Finch.
Definitely not two birds all pics were seconds apart on open mowed grass. House finch was my atopilot ID. At closer look it seemed to have more red/rose and more brown. A little bigger than the house finch I have been around most of my life. Also has faint light rings around the eyes. I'm not doubting house finch just haven't seen as much defined color. I appreciate all the help!

House finch is a highly variable species in plumage. Judging the size of a lone bird is notoriously unreliable.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back