• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Last bird of 2020 ... and first of 2021 (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
Don't think either thread has been done yet, might be a bit late to work out what was the last of this year for some (think it must have been the Jackdaws going towards roost for me as seen out of living room window). Pretty sure I'll pop outside sometime after midnight, not sure what I may hear. Otherwise for daylight it will probably be something exciting like Herring Gull or Jackdaw as the first of the new birding year ...

Last edited:
The last one I noted was White-fronted Goose, just after twitching two Red-breasted Mergansers (last addition to my year list).

(Just heard a White-fronted Goose over my house, so now definitely the last one of the year).

Last edited:
Dunnock shouting its head off in my back garden in the half-light was my last of 2020. I'm off out early morning to listen for owls but I will have a look along the brook at midnight for a Moorhen or Mallard. Report later!

John

Yellowhammer was my last species seen for the year, two feeding perilously close to one of next door’s cats, hope they’re still around tomorrow.....

Last of 2020 and first of 2021 weren’t too exciting😂 House Sparrow in both cases, in Christchurch, New Zealand

I wasn't thinking about what my last bird this year was. Unless a Barred Owl calls between now and midnight, it was probably a House Sparrow which I would have heard from the kitchen or from my home office. My wife's last bird was likely a Red-bellied Woodpecker attacking a neighbor's gutter which she saw from her second-story home office. (My home office is in the basement.)

Actually went to bed, but couldn't sleep, heard a bunch of fireworks (and next doors dog whimpering through the party wall), about ten minutes ago got up and opened the window - Tawny Owls calling, some near, some far!

Last: a robin on one of the bird feeders.
First: a jackdaw called from next door's garden while I was topping up the feeders just now.

My first birds were Eurasian Magpies, Yellowhammer (heard) and Eurasian Blackbird (heard). Unfortunately, all the birds were terrified because of fireworks. (Central Poland)

last bird of 2020 - Ring-necked Parakeet (actually 3 together at dusk)

first bird of 2021 - Tawny Owl at about 01:30

No fireworks here - sheer bliss! No terrified dogs (or freaked out wildlife) just peaceful silence at midnight - then like Dan the man - tawny owls calling near and far down the valley.
Last birds were scolding blackbirds going to bed.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back