• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Last butterfly of 2020 (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
Nothing today (only out to Asda, garden devoid of butterflies), but Red Admiral yesterday on ivy in Porthleven in a garden I was working in, plus a Hummingbird Hawk-moth.

Scridifer

Supporter
Bulgaria
Clouded Yellow, Small White, Wall Brown, Red Admiral and Painted Lady on our walk this morning, plus just had a Cardinal on our Buddleia in the garden.

Chris

dantheman

Bah humbug
2 Red Admiral at Stithians Reservoir this morning. Good chance of being the last species I see this year, being realistic.

Sandy73

Evening.

I found a Speckled Wood still flying today on the outskirts of Sittingbourne.

Regards

Scridifer

Supporter
Bulgaria
Several Clouded Yellows, Cardinal, Red Admiral, Wall Brown and a very tattered female Lang's Short-tailed Blue here this morning.

Chris

StephenHampshire

United Kingdom
One Red Admiral this afternoon as I was working lineside on the Mid Hants Railway, also a small coppery butterfly this morning during a walk through the fields. Didn't get close enough for a positive ID

pandachris

I haven't seen any butterflies for about 3 weeks but there were two Red Admirals just by the junction of the A41 and the Wolverhampton ring road at 12:10 today.

WalterRayle

Emeritus Prof at University of the Bearded Clam
United Kingdom
Red Admiral, Large White, Speckled Wood, Small Copper and my first Painted Lady of the year in SE Dorset today.

Scridifer

Supporter
Bulgaria
Beautiful sunny day here too: Clouded Yellows, Small Copper, Small and Green-veined Whites, Queen of Spain and several Wall Browns.

Chris

Steve Lister

Senior Birder, ex County Recorder, Garden Moths.
United Kingdom
A smart male Brimstone at Swithland Reservoir today - the only thing I have seen recently apart from odd Small Whites.

Steve

Jos Stratford

Beast from the East
On a day that started warm and sunny and transformed to wild and windy, remarkably I saw two species of butterfly! And the species in question – one Red Admiral and one Small White – my latest records of both, beating the previous records by a single day in both cases. As for any butterfly, the latest I have ever seen any species on the wing in Lithuania was 24 October in 2017 (Small Copper and Queen of Spain Fritillary). Here's hoping for this year ...though the forecast is far from promising!

Jos Stratford

Beast from the East
My latest butterflies ever in Lithuania ... after quite a search, two Queen of Spain Fritillaries and one Small Tortoiseshell today

Jon Turner

Weds 28th Speckled Wood in N Devon. Just after a huge thundery shower with added hail etc. Sun came out up it came!

dantheman

Bah humbug
Couple hours of sunshine between storms/fronts this afternoon. Saw a moth hovering around the front out the window (think Silver Y or poss Hummingbird HM), went out to see, no sign, but did flush a Red Admiral off the front lawn.

Scridifer

Supporter
Bulgaria
A lovely sunny morning after yesterday's rain brought Small White, Wall Brown, Painted Lady, three Red Admirals and four Clouded Yellows.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread