• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Last Butterfly of the year, 2018 (1 Viewer)

jurek

I know an old cellar which is more known for hibernating bats, but there are always several Peacocks too. I wonder if going there on New Years Eve evening would bring me the last butterfly of the year?

dantheman

Bah humbug
I know an old cellar which is more known for hibernating bats, but there are always several Peacocks too. I wonder if going there on New Years Eve evening would bring me the last butterfly of the year?

It's up to you ... ;)

(Of course someone going to their 'special location' nearer midnight in a different time zone could pip you to the post for the last one ... )

Britseye

Painted Lady feeding on hee-bee (or hi-bi?) in front of my bedroom window today. Followed by another...then another. My suspicion is that they had just arrived in on the southerlies and sunshine? A Peacock was also seen on the wing by our expert entomologist, Bob Dawson.

aeshna5

Painted Lady feeding on hee-bee (or hi-bi?) in front of my bedroom window today. Followed by another...then another. My suspicion is that they had just arrived in on the southerlies and sunshine? A Peacock was also seen on the wing by our expert entomologist, Bob Dawson.

According to Migrant Lepidoptera forum there were 4 species of butterfly seen on Scilly yesterday: 14+ Painted Lady, 2 Peacock, Red Admiral + Small Tortoiseshell. Pretty good for the end of December! The Painted Ladies are probably fresh migrants as an Egyptian Grasshopper was also photographed in Hugh Town.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread