• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Last butterfly of the year 2022 (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
As usual, kinda UK/N European-centric by default, but any other 'late' butterflies around the world, or 'interesting' sightings as people wish.

Just back from France, with some nice (for me) garden butterflies such as Clouded Yellow, Brimstone, Large Copper, some of the blues etc ...

In Cornwall today (17th October), my first full day back and sunny -

Speckled Wood - by Sainsburys, Penryn. Also singles of Comma and Small White at my place near Falmouth, and a Red Admiral in flight through the lanes.

Had Red Admiral, Speckled Wood & Small White in the last few days.

Thought I'd see a butterfly at Kew Gardens yesterday but didn't, though saw Common Darter, 8 Migrant Hawkers & 10 Willow Emeralds.

Had Red Admiral, Speckled Wood & Small White in the last few days.

Thought I'd see a butterfly at Kew Gardens yesterday but didn't, though saw Common Darter, 8 Migrant Hawkers & 10 Willow Emeralds.
Remembered I also saw a large dragonfly yesterday, presumed(?) Southern Hawker.

Last butterfly I saw was a Red Admiral on the 8th October. Since then the temperature has been pretty low overnight, 0.3C on one occasion and there's been some snow on the Cairngorms, so I'm not expecting to see many more here in Aviemore. There may be some if we head up to the coast at any time.

I have been monitoring Small Coppers at my local site, Bewley Common, Wiltshire. Still 4 there yesterday (20th Oct) plus Speckled Wood and Red Admiral

Attachments

• sc1.jpg
    sc1.jpg
    648.1 KB · Views: 6
  • sc2.jpg
    sc2.jpg
    527.1 KB · Views: 6
  • sc3.jpg
    sc3.jpg
    588.8 KB · Views: 6
  • sc4.jpg
    sc4.jpg
    589.5 KB · Views: 6
A Red Admiral & at least 2 Small White at Hyde Hall RHS Gardens in Essex today. Also a Hummingbird Hawkmoth.

Last edited:
22nd October Bewley Common, Wiltshire
Small Copper x 1
Red Admiral x 1
Speckled Wood x 1

Attachments

• DSC08727.JPG
    DSC08727.JPG
    511.9 KB · Views: 1
My partner had just gone out the front door when she came back in to tell me she had just seen a Red Admiral in the front garden, which then did a few circuits in the front garden before alighting on a Buddleja.

Given the forecast tomorrow may not get any sightings.

Today in the gardens of Fulham Palace I was pleasantly surprised to see a fairly fresh Painted Lady visiting some Cosmos flowers.

Also a brief Red Admiral sighting.

A bit of a damp, dreary morning but this afternoon it cheered up & very warm for late October- 20C!

I was surprised to see in a local park at least 7 Small Whites, so late in the season. 5 were flying over a large seed-mix area dominated by various Brassicas, Fodder Radish & Gold of Pleasure-which hopefully will later attract some good finch flocks (we've had good numbers of Linnet, Goldfinch & Chaffinch in some previous winters).

Otherwise a more anticipated Red Admiral, which I assume was a female as it spent time investigating some nettles along the River Brent.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back