• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Late afternoon walk with the Tract Torics 10x42 (1 Viewer)

Rob from Texas

Weather finally cleared this weekend, ….no more ice, ...was time to get out. Took my Torics for a spin at the estuary.
I was very impressed. The view quality was amazing. Great resolution, great detail with contrast.
The colors were what I had hoped, ...contrasty, but realistic.

Since I had a low and very bright sun, I tried to produce glare, flare or veiling. No dice. These are solid glare defenders.
I did learn something I can improve on though. The eye relief is just right for me with cups all the way extended,
however, they are tapered at the end and leave space for the sun to peak in between the side of the cup and my cheek bone.
This produced the obvious effect of the sun rays spoiling the sun side vision. This had nothing to do with optics, it's basically the
same as driving into a setting sun beam. The binoculars were un-effected. The view was darker to my eyes due to sun invasion
into my pupil (contraction), but the optics remained free of glare.

Next purchase: Neoprene eye shields!

Rob

PeterPS

Weather finally cleared this weekend, ….no more ice, ...was time to get out. Took my Torics for a spin at the estuary.
I was very impressed. The view quality was amazing. Great resolution, great detail with contrast.
The colors were what I had hoped, ...contrasty, but realistic.

Since I had a low and very bright sun, I tried to produce glare, flare or veiling. No dice. These are solid glare defenders.
I did learn something I can improve on though. The eye relief is just right for me with cups all the way extended,
however, they are tapered at the end and leave space for the sun to peak in between the side of the cup and my cheek bone.
This produced the obvious effect of the sun rays spoiling the sun side vision. This had nothing to do with optics, it's basically the
same as driving into a setting sun beam. The binoculars were un-effected. The view was darker to my eyes due to sun invasion
into my pupil (contraction), but the optics remained free of glare.

Next purchase: Neoprene eye shields!

Rob
Congrats on the binos and good weather. The Toric 10x42 is an excellent performer. Regarding reflections in the oculars caused by side light, winged eyecups should take care of that.

Last edited:

mwhogue

Supporter
Well my eye cup wings came in....sadly not a fan.

Rob and Dennis,

I went through a phase several years ago using FO winged eye shields but eventually took them all off. About a year ago member John A. Roberts recommended the Binobandit as an alternative and IMO they are much better, more useful etc. They take a little getting used to, experiment/adjusting for your face shape bins and glasses if you wear them. I can use the Binobandit with or without glasses and with or without folding down to handle fogging. Most versions come with a clip which can be used to fasten the two ends together above the oculars to function as a reasonable rainguard - although not totally air or water tight it does keep drips from swigs from the water bottle, sneezes, etc off the lenses.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread