• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (29 Viewers)

Cnephaeus should just be the southernmost part of the peninsula, approximately from Taman Negara south (someone else probably nows more exactly).
Most of peninsular Malaysia would be lempiji.
According to the Clements update

• “The Malay Peninsula populations previously treated as a subspecies of Sunda Scops-Owl (Otus lempiji) are hereby moved to Collared Scops-Owl (Otus lettia), restricting that species to Indonesia, Borneo, and Con Son Island, Vietnam and expanding the range of Collared Scops to southernmost Thailand, Malaysia, and Singapore.”
Seems like Sunda scops owl no longer considered to occur on the Asian mainland

James

According to the Clements update

• “The Malay Peninsula populations previously treated as a subspecies of Sunda Scops-Owl (Otus lempiji) are hereby moved to Collared Scops-Owl (Otus lettia), restricting that species to Indonesia, Borneo, and Con Son Island, Vietnam and expanding the range of Collared Scops to southernmost Thailand, Malaysia, and Singapore.”
Seems like Sunda scops owl no longer considered to occur on the Asian mainland

James
Nothing about Con Son Island in IOC notes that I can see but that would be an impossibly, disjunct, distribution, they'd surely all be split from each other, three, widely separated, Island, endemics?

Nothing about Con Son Island in IOC notes that I can see but that would be an impossibly, disjunct, distribution, they'd surely all be split from each other, three, widely separated, Island, endemics?
Check out Subspecies Updates on IOC website. Recently added both condorensis and hypnodes to Sunda Scops Owl Otus lempiji following Wu & Rheindt (2023).

Jul 3: post split of Sandhill Grasswren from Rufous Grasswren
Sandhill Grasswren Amytornis oweni ADD AS Pilbara Grasswren Sandhill Grasswren Amytornis oweni (including aenigma) is split from Rufous (Pilbara) Grasswren A. oweni based on differences in morphology and ecology (Christidis et al. 2013; WGAC 988)

Shouldn't that be A. whitei?
MJB

Check out Subspecies Updates on IOC website. Recently added both condorensis and hypnodes to Sunda Scops Owl Otus lempiji following Wu & Rheindt (2023).
condorensis is still really puzzling though! A very isolated population.

Making things worse, the 2023 Clements spreadsheet describes the range of condorensis as "S peninsular Thailand (south of Isthmus of Kra)", which is the range of cnephaeus, without mentioning Con Son Island at all. My guess is they treat cnephaeus as a junior synonym of condorensis, as they don't include cnephaeus at all. But 2023 Clements gave the range of O. l. lempiji as "Malay Peninsula, s. Sumatra (etc.)". Heck if I know how to draw a non-political line between "Thailand (south of the Isthmus of Kra)" and "Malay Peninsula".

Perhaps resolving or perhaps adding to the confusion, BOtW reports the range of condorensis as just Con Son Island, not mentioning s Peninsular Thailand in the range of any subspecies, perhaps suggesting that account treats cnepaheus as a junior synonym of lempiji?

My guess is that the 2023 Clements range for condorensis is entirely in error, and BOtW had it right (at least for any treatment of condorensis as deserving of subspecies status.)

FWIW, Wu & Rheindt just write this about condorensis: "Our lack of vocal material for the taxon condorensis, confined to Con Son Island off the southern tip of Vietnam, precludes a certain assignment to either species.... we provisionally retain the most widely-followed treatment of condorensis as under O. lempiji"

Just based on that (no idea what other info is around), it seems unwarranted to treat condorensis as a synonym of anything - without vocal data, it could be a member of either species or even a species of its own.

Sandhill Grasswren Amytornis oweni ADD AS Pilbara Grasswren Sandhill Grasswren Amytornis oweni (including aenigma) is split from Rufous (Pilbara) Grasswren A. oweni based on differences in morphology and ecology (Christidis et al. 2013; WGAC 988)

Shouldn't that be A. whitei?
MJB
Yes, of course, whitei. Will fix.

Thanks.

David

Post split of Sangihe Cicadabird from Sulawesi Cicadabird.
Sangihe Cicadabird Edolisoma salvadorii (including talautense) is split from Sulawesi Cicadabird Edolisoma morio based on differences in female plumage and molecular divergence (Pedersen et al. 2018; Eaton et al. 2021; WGAC 1072).

If I've followed the subspecies correctly, the nominate subspecies is now monotypic:
Edolisoma salvadorii salvadorii Sangihe island, E. s. talautense Talaud Islands (Salebabu, Karakelong and Kaburuang)
Edolisoma morio: Sulawesi, Lembeh, Muna, Tomea, Kabaena and Butung islands

Jul 9 Post split of Malaita Cicadabird from Black-bellied Cicadabird (Solomons Cuckooshrike).

The new IOC English name selected for Edolisoma holopolium after the split of Malaita Cicadabird = Black-bellied Cicadabird.

However, in BotW the English name for Edolisoma montanum = Black-bellied Cicadabird (identical English name for a separate species). Presumably same name used in Clements/Ebird.

In IOC 14.1 the English name for Edolisoma montanum = Black-bellied Cuckooshrike.

A tad confusing unless there are forthcoming additional changes that will clear things up.

The new IOC English name selected for Edolisoma holopolium after the split of Malaita Cicadabird = Black-bellied Cicadabird.

However, in BotW the English name for Edolisoma montanum = Black-bellied Cicadabird (identical English name for a separate species). Presumably same name used in Clements/Ebird.

In IOC 14.1 the English name for Edolisoma montanum = Black-bellied Cuckooshrike.

A tad confusing unless there are forthcoming additional changes that will clear things up.
Thanks for catching these. Good points.

We will use Solomons Cicadabird for E. holopolium.

Haha, just tomorrow we have a presentation about our trip do Bali, where Cinereous Tit was a lifer. No longer!
You only lose one if you've seen Japanese as well which I haven't.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Indian and Himalayan Black-lored Tit to get relumped.

Of course, but I have. As a consolation, the Bali observation remains a lifer to my wife who has never been to Japan nor Korea.

I am hoping folks come up with a new name for the combination of Cinereous + Japanese. It's always confusing when you get a relump of two wide-ranging species and one of lumped species common name gets used for both. Oriental Tit?

I only have "Japanese" Tit, but the former Cinereous would have been a probable lifer on my big birding trip next year, so it does deny me a near future tick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back