• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (5 Viewers)

I to some degree hope that IOC and/or Clements split from SACC on English names here. SACC has recently voted for Geaceful, Kerr’s, Amazon, and Atlantic Black-throated Trogons. Can anyone tell without consulting scientific names which is Graceful and which is Kerr’s? In the end it is not the a huge deal as they will fortunately carry compound names and users will rely on that and not care who Kerr was or why one is supposedly more graceful. But in the fairly difficult and muddled world of Trogon names I think it was a missed opportunity to have more useful / concise names along the lines of Northern, Pacific (or Choco), Common (or Amazon), and Atlantic Black-throated Trogons.

I think the SACC proposals and associated comments on English names for trogons should be required reading for anyone who thinks that coming up with the perfect (or even passable) English name is an easy task, or that there is always a descriptive solution that works. When I am birding in South America I find that I can ID the trogons easily enough to the level of "oh yeah, it's the one with the fast song" or "it's the green and yellow one that occurs here", but I just find it impossible to remember which name goes with which...

If the three forms of Intermediate Egret (sensu lato) average different lengths, perhaps we can have Great Intermediate Egret, Intermediate Intermediate Egret and Little Intermediate Egret? That'll sort things right out 😂
African intermediate egret, Asian intermediate egret and Australasian intermediate egret?

David

Western Bonelli's warbler and Eastern Bonelli's Warbler? Western Subalpine Warbler and Eastern Subalpine Warbler? Eastern Black-eared Wheatear and Western Black-eared Wheatear?
Bonelli's Warbler and Eastern Warbler 🤷

Iberian Warbler and Subalpine Warbler 🤷

Black and white Wheatear and Black-eared Wheater 🤷

I mean, Intermediate is already kind of a vague descriptor. I am not seeing how that is naturally superior to Plumed or Yellow-billed, other than letting the reader know that the three species are closely related.

I mean, Intermediate is already kind of a vague descriptor. I am not seeing how that is naturally superior to Plumed or Yellow-billed, other than letting the reader know that the three species are closely related.
We must also put ourselves in the context of the description of the species, why was it named intermedia, was it intermediate compared to which species?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back